Random Question On Installing Taps (1 Washer)

ph5172

Random question.

I have bought some new tap sets for our house.

They only come with 1 washer per tap (all the other sets i have fitted in the past have 2)  so...... does this go between tap and basin creating a seal or underneath the basin?

The washer appears to be a bit more rigid that than usual rubber washers 

Im not normally a simpleton honest but its better to ask a stupid question than not ask at all!!

Between the tap and the basin.....dont overtighten the nut underneath....washer is there to provide a seat for the metal of the tap to the porcilin of the sink.....it is much easier to "pinch" the nut up underneath...than to wrench the heck out of it 1st time..........

have you got stop valves on both pipes in ?

im not a plumber...but that is what i do...

6 minutes ago, ditchman said:

Between the tap and the basin.....dont overtighten the nut underneath....washer is there to provide a seat for the metal of the tap to the porcilin of the sink.....it is much easier to "pinch" the nut up underneath...than to wrench the heck out of it 1st time..........

have you got stop valves on both pipes in ?

im not a plumber...but that is what i do...

Guess I’m removing 4 sets of taps tonight then. Lol. 

Not stop valves as we have a thermal store with heat plate exchanger so it’s isolate the mains then run the taps to clear the pipe work. 

You could fit isolation valves to pipes under the when. Then if you have a problem your not Turing off the full house water supply.

Use the second washer off the taps your removing on your new taps, job jobbed.

Is there fitting instructions with your new taps as the thick plastic washers are usually for under the basin between the backnut and a thin rubber, plastic or even foam washer is used to seal the tap to the basin. Sometimes the the tap has a o ring fitted to its base.

7 minutes ago, figgy said:

You could fit isolation valves to pipes under the when. Then if you have a problem your not Turing off the full house water supply.

Use the second washer off the taps your removing on your new taps, job jobbed.

Is there fitting instructions with your new taps as the thick plastic washers are usually for under the basin between the backnut and a thin rubber, plastic or even foam washer is used to seal the tap to the basin. Sometimes the the tap has a o ring fitted to its base.

Already tried that when installing but the old taps were house builder contract so had a larger base so the washers are too big ( the only washer was the rubber one tap to basin)

the instructions consisted of a picture with the tap thread washer centre and the nut so not descriptive at all

the tap has no built in or other washers. 

I will remove one of the washers and see exactly how hard a material it is. 

Who thought a simple job would be so complicated. Lol.  

3 minutes ago, ditchman said:

huh tell me all about it................story of my life..:lol:

Thinking about it the taps were a ****** to fix solid so i recon its 4 sets of taps off tonight to move washers.

Oh well im going to buy a proper basin wrench as im jaffed off with using spanners and adjustables.

Oh and dont ask me about a fibre washer welded to the bottom of a tap so not going back into a fitting resulting in a high pressure jet of hot water till i could run back to the stop cock and open a hot tap to drain!!!

Edited by ph5172

41 minutes ago, ditchman said:

huh tell me all about it................story of my life..:lol:

39 minutes ago, Mice! said:

we've all been there☹😭😁 

Me too. When one thing leads to another I'm often reminded of the old music hall song "The Gas Man Cometh" by Flanders and Swann