Rimfire challenge

spandit

On the stalking directory they have a simple shooting test called the "black dot of doom". Thought a similar thing on here would be fun.

Simple rules:

15 rounds, 50 yards.

5 prone, 5 sitting/kneeling and 5 standing. No supports/rests allowed aside from slings.

Edit: no zeroing or warm up shots allowed. Your rifle should be zeroed already and I, for one, don't take warm up shots in the field. No time limit.

Ultrastu suggested using scoring targets - I think that's a good idea. When I get hold of some I'll have another go.

My first attempt, from left to right: prone, sitting and standing - need more practice when standing obviously.

IMG-20190618-WA0016.jpg.e95f1f41ac517c85708d0cb0c9820767.jpg

Target analysis:

Prone:

rc1.png.4c51c578c808d3634549ee0a376d8feb.png

Sitting:

rc2.png.b1c5632763cc3d72256e80ecd2dce5ce.png

Standing:

rc3.png.f6032186150c6644dbfcde14d30e4c7c.png

Had another go and did a bit better but more practice definitely in order as I feel I'm too reliant on sticks

Edited by spandit

5 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Is there a time limit? 

No, there's no prize either! Being able to shoot accurately from standing would massively increase my rabbit bag as by the time I've deployed the sticks, they've often scarpered

Just now, London Best said:

A 1mm ten ring is a bit optimistic at 50yards........well, it is for me.

I reckon I could hit it from sticks or a bench rest - my rifle is certainly accurate enough

1 minute ago, Ultrastu said:

I actually think your standing group is pretty respectable  mate. 

If the dot is gone then it scores a 10 

Cheers. My second attempt was a little better but not all within a kill zone.

rc6.png.76a91703e951ad75adfbe8521fcff937.png

Just now, oowee said:

That's a pretty good standing group Spandit. I very rarely shoot freehand. The odd deer and a few squirrels. 

I'd like the extreme spread to be consistently within 2 inches - should make headshots possible.

Just now, Ultrastu said:

May I suggest 5 zeroing /warm-up shots

Then into the 3 groups of 5.  

Ah. Now the stalking directory black dot of doom doesn't allow zeroing - it's designed to simulate a real world scenario.

Just don't publish your warm up shots if you do them! Or just have more than one attempt!

3 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

Grass is so tall here that the target would have to be up a tree for the prone. Wouldn’t see it otherwise.

I have a dedicated range at home that I keep mown. Wouldn't see a rabbit if the grass was long anyway

I’ve referred to this before, but learning to snap shoot is pretty easy to get to grips with.

The most difficult part is to find the correct sling adjustment for your frame. Once that’s done you need to practise getting that sling around the forearm until you have the desired tension along the forearm and over your elbow. It can be done very quickly with practise. It’s then just a case of taking a breath and slowly exhaling as you raise the rifle and pick up the target in your scope, lower those cross hairs onto the bunny head, pause your breath and squeeze the trigger. It sounds a protracted routine but is literally less than four seconds from spotting that bunny to killing it. 

If you get to the wobbling stage you’re taking too long. 

Try it, you’ll be both surprised and impressed.