Mice!!

Mice!

Is anyone else getting a lot of mice in their sheds or garages?

I always have three traps down after having things chewed up in the past, you move a box and find your glove and hood have been neatly made into a ball by the little ****.

Normally it's winter when they come in for obvious reasons, there is bird food outside, sunflower seeds and fat balls but why there coming in is a mystery, I've had 5 now this week.

I say every year I'll keep track of how many I get but never do.

WP_20190619_19_55_43_Pro.jpg.c24050e6a9d5cc4875016104af5a4e88.jpg

One thing though, compared with the old little nipper traps we used to have these plastic ones are lethal.

We had three come in our garden from the next door neighbours eating the bird food , I got a box trap off Ebay for about 7 quid and caught the three in three days , my wife thought they looked cute and we took them down the marsh and let them go , I am not sure if you should release a wild animal back in the wild but these were not really that wild :lol:

SAM-8237.jpg

The Memsahib's polytunnel has become free feeding for mice. They have nipped the tops off all her growing plants which has caused quite considerable complaining. As she will not take any proactive measures as she does not like killing anything I set seven traditional traps about two weeks ago and the score is now into the middle twenties! I'm almost feeling guilty when, in the morning Mr or Mrs Mouse is staring at me with their eyes protruding from their heads. 

Strange that I have not caught any by the tail or feet? Peanut butter is deadly!!

1 hour ago, wisdom said:

I have had considerable success with the self set metal ones in the past

Little nipper traps never seemed to get many for me.What type are those in the picture?

Not sure I've had them a while, you can adjust how sensitive they are, under the heads is a small bowl to put the bait, I'm also using peanut butter, they have to put there head in to get the bait!!

I have caught them across the legs when there's been no bait for a while if the slugs have had it, they must be running past and snap!

We have had to stop filling the bird feeders for a while in the garden. Both feeders hang above the decking outside the conservatory and inevitably some seed is spilled by the birds and falls onto, or through the decking. Sitting having a cuppa one mid afternoon I saw a mouse, bold as brass, out on the decking making good with the free offerings so I set a couple of traps, baited with peanut butter under a piece of board supported by bricks at the corners (to keep the dog off them).

27 mice so far and still going !

None this morning, phew! I can cope with seeing them in the garden, i know I have bird food about so expect a few about, but 5 in a week seemed a bit much.

1 hour ago, Longstrider said:

27 mice so far and still going !

yikes😣

I've just noticed my neighbour has a new cage trap affair with two traps in it so his chickens can't get at the traps, wondering now how many he's had🤔

Had a pretty serious rat problem this year. My neighbours on both sides have stables and other wildlife around and the rats dug their way into our sheds and garden room.

Laid some poison safely and rats disappeared...well bodily, but the stink of rotting rats in the old hollow walls pervaded for a fair few weeks.  I normally catch a few mice with standard mouse traps but this year have not seen sign of any so the rat bait might have done them as well.  Both can do a lot of damage in a very short time.

Many years ago I worked in a factory office on an industrial estate surrounded by wheatfields. After harvest-time the office would be inundated with them.

I found one tucking into my digestives when I opened my desk drawer. That was despatched with my shoe.

Another time we noticed rather a smell coming out of the computer air-con unit, where I found one, decapitated by the fan. 

One day some of the office girls said that they had seen one scuttle behind a filing cabinet, so I moved the cabinet, grabbed the mouse, and it promptly sank its teeth into my finger. I flung it off through the open window, where it landed at the feet of our transport manager. He despatched it with his size nine boot.

We invested in traps thereafter.

Walker 570 highlights the main problem with using poisons around the home ... dead rats and mice rotting away in in-accessible places and stinking as they do so. This is why my first response to the problem is always traps. The little plastic based traps from B+Q or similar are great for mice if you bait them with peanut butter, but you can't beat a Fenn #4 (in a tunnel) for rats IMO. At least with traps you know for certain that the ******* are dead, and you can dispose of the bodies properly. There's also the added bonus of the satisfaction element when you get them ;)

It is satisfying catching the mice, i would rather they didn't come in, another two dead uns to dispose of, would probably be more but I've been away at work. Got home checked the traps and yes two dead mice.

Going to buy some more traps, just to be on the safe side.

12 hours ago, Longstrider said:

Walker 570 highlights the main problem with using poisons around the home ... dead rats and mice rotting away in in-accessible places and stinking as they do

Yeah I'm not keen on poison around the house or garden, trapping means you know you've got them 👍 

Might have been all my own fault!! I took maybe 20ft off a pine tree in my garden earlier in the year, i then took off a load of pine cones and growing tips thinking of squirrel bait, and that pine cones burn great when lighting the BBQ.

I left the bucket in the garage on the floor in the garage, they might well have been coming in for that??

4 minutes ago, AYA117 said:

We run just over 100 Little Nipper traps in the polytunnels all baited with jelly tots.

Never would have thought to use jelly tots! Thinking about it there the perfect bait! I would of used peanut butter or something similar. We've spotted a field mouse running around the back of are green houses doesent seem to be taking anything at the moment just seems to be using it as a covered run to get somewhere else.Will keep a eye on the situation tho ...as long as he stays away from my strawberrys plants he can live for now 

2 hours ago, AYA117 said:

We run just over 100 Little Nipper traps in the polytunnels all baited with jelly tots.

That's a lot of traps, wouldn't have thought of mice damaging things in a poly tunnel, so what's the most you've caught in a night? 

31 minutes ago, Mice! said:

That's a lot of traps, wouldn't have thought of mice damaging things in a poly tunnel, so what's the most you've caught in a night? 

When it starts to get colder it may go up to around 10 a night, but with poison and two feral cats it is about 1 a week at the moment.

10 hours ago, Stephen-H said:

Never would have thought to use jelly tots! Thinking about it there the perfect bait! I would of used peanut butter or something similar. We've spotted a field mouse running around the back of are green houses doesent seem to be taking anything at the moment just seems to be using it as a covered run to get somewhere else.Will keep a eye on the situation tho ...as long as he stays away from my strawberrys plants he can live for now 

Remember field mice are protected