Badger problem

countryman

Hi

i have a log cabin type building that basically sits on concrete blocks. A couple of badgers have decided to move in underneath, I am concerned that they will undermine the building as they could easily dig under the blocks that hold the building up. The cabin is quite big and or though I have tried to scare them out with a torch and noise they refuse to leave for good. They are leaving at night but returning even though I block up where they come out, they will just dig any where around the building to get in or out. They have had a run in with the dog and cat but are still not phased. Are there any ways of getting them to leave, I know they are protected.

Thanks

The Protection of Badgers Act 1992. Section 3 of the Act makes it an offence to do any of the following unless allowed to do so by a license from Natural England or Natural Resources Wales and the Welsh Government (depending on the type of development).

a) Damage a badger sett or any part of it b) Destroy a badger sett c) Obstruct access to, or any entrance of, a badger sett d) Cause a dog to enter a badger sett e) Disturb a badger when it is occupying a badger sett. A badger sett is defined in the legislation as any structure or place which displays signs of current use by badgers. As such, if badgers are present on site or within close proximity of ground-breaking works (i.e. within a distance whereby any resident badgers could be disturbed by the works), building work can cause any of the above offences if mitigation is not put in place.

Leaving dog poo, urinating or banging tin pots relentlessly, or any of the other hundred ways people might use to get rid of badgers may not in itself be illegal. But it's intent that matters and so it would still break the laws that Henry d quoted. Also, if any of these other methods failed and you THEN applied for a license, they'd take pretty dim view of the fact that you'd already tried something illegally.

How would they find out? well these things have a habit of doing so, particularly when posts end up on a public forum. 

The first thing you need to do is go through Natural England and get the required permission. That's the bottom line.

You would be best off contacting your local council who should be able to advise. Disturbing badgers whilst occupying a 'sett' - which appears to have a wide definition - is of course illegal. And I'm not sure you would be able to encourage them to move on without causing them some disturbance