Water proofing

Lloyd90

I had a pair of Jack Pyke green trousers last year and I had to say they are light years ahead of the old elasticated ones that would have you sweating all day. 

I wore them recently through some long grass and although good a bit of water got through. Outside they were absolutely soaked, I’m talking waist high soaked grass. 

Do I need to add someone / a spray to maintain the waterproofing on these? 

Thanks 

Not recommending it but we were at a charity clay shoot a week ago and a guy there "a helper" had sprayed his cheap nylon outfit with a  whole can of WD40. It rained in biblical proportions most of the day and he ended up dry as a bone.

4 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Not recommending it but we were at a charity clay shoot a week ago and a guy there "a helper" had sprayed his cheap nylon outfit with a  whole can of WD40. It rained in biblical proportions most of the day and he ended up dry as a bone.

I spray my work boots with wd40, swear it keeps them slightly dryer 

7 hours ago, Townie said:

Not strictly relevant, I bought a pair of German army surplus goretex overtrousers in 2005 (plain green, not the flecktarn). Continue not to let a drop through.

goretex is tested to the extreme used to have a full set of railway goretex waterproofs and you could sit in a puddle no probs but it ain’t cheap 

The problem you will have is that the water will be being forced into the material with you walking through the grass at a higher pressure than water droplets as if it was raining. 

You can reduce it but unlikely to stop it completely unless you invest in some new trousers. I was out in a pair of Aigle trousers Wednesday  evening after muntys in similar conditions, they looked soaking but i was dry, even my pants were dry for a change. 

I have some Arco foul weather wear at work i could get you, just a bit Orange though. 😉