Conservative leadership race - merged threads

Walker570

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, treetree said:

I turned off after the second question, the woman essentially using the BBC to broadcast that we shouldn't leave the EU as it might affect her hugely privileged life "my husband is in property, one of my sons works in the city and the other is a vet".

As for Rory Steward, quite why he is in the Conservative e party baffles me

very strange facial expressions ....quite unnerving................almost baboon like...im surprised his knuckles arnt grazed..........

12 minutes ago, Westward said:

You've just doubled the viewing figures. 😁

Trebled....OH is watching also. 🙂

12 minutes ago, Capt Christopher Jones said:

Its ( from the trailer ) a **** show, as, or, worse then when JC was involved ( imho of course )

It will never be as good as the Clarkson, May and Hammond era, and haven’t watched it since they left, but new presenters sobthought I’d give it a whirl. 

It was a very poor format, regardless of the people taking part.

Five people sitting in a half circle, get asked a question and are given 3 minutes to respond, none of those minutes without some sort of interruption.
"Chaired" by an irritating, antagonistic host.
Then people complained that nobody gave a straight answer, unless the answer was "Yes", or "No", none of them had a chance to give an answer.
It would have been better with a 30  minute one on one with someone of the calibre of Andrew Neil, who can be firm, but not irritating.

I have to agree that Rory Steward is an odd bod, nothing likeable about him at all.

33 minutes ago, treetree said:

I turned off after the second question, the woman essentially using the BBC to broadcast that we shouldn't leave the EU as it might affect her hugely privileged life "my husband is in property, one of my sons works in the city and the other is a vet".

I too lost the will to live at this point. Only caring about her and her family retaining their life style, not about the countries future. Totally selfish.

Programmes format was badly flawed with candidates and EM talking over each other. Had to switch my computer on instead and await for the high lights in the press tomorrow.

20 minutes ago, Scully said:

will never be as good as the Clarkson, May and Hammond era, and haven’t watched it since they left, but new presenters sobthought I’d give it a whirl. 

we watched it because there were new presenters, it was ok, easy watching and funny in parts

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well you stuck it for longer than I could, now watching Tony Robinson wandering along the Thames.

Talking about Tony Robinson, I was pleased to hear that Gove says he has several Detailed (if not cunning) Plans for all eventualities.

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well you stuck it for longer than I could, now watching Tony Robinson wandering along the Thames.

hello, our Tony missed all the best places along the Thames but popped in to see our lock keeper Roger and had a twiddle with the lock gates

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

10 hours ago, ditchman said:

so there is 5 of them....including Boris.......................

i have watched 10mins of this hour long programme.......................AND IM SICK TO THE BACK TEETH OF IT ALREADY.....(turned over)................

i really dont care anymore...........i just want us to get out at virtually any cost...........i have lost the will to live...i thought the programme would be interesting.......BUT I HAVE HAD IT

(mods if you want to move this ok)

God Help Us. 

The Tory leadership debate? All lies and jests ...Still a man hears what he wants to hear ...And disregards the rest..."

And these politicians know this full well which is why they carry on lying and jesting rather than telling their constituents some unpalatable truths that they almost certainly don't want to hear.

But for those who actually know what they're talking about the situation is looking increasingly dire.'I am worried that the longer the sheer lack of seriousness and honesty, the delusion mongering goes on, the more we imperil our long term prospects.  It is not patriotism to keep on failing to confront realities and to make serious choices from the options which exist, rather than carrying on conjuring up ones which don't". http://www.eureferendum.com/documents/ivan speech final.pdf

Project Fear? Not at all. Just someone who properly understands how international trade works telling it as it is. As they say, in the end the wolf turned out to be real after all.

Couldn’t be bothered to wade through all that.

Even if those advising Boris were businessmen and women who ‘understood how international trade works’, there would still be those in favour of remaining and those in favour of leaving, as indeed there are. 

We’re just going round and round in the Brexit debate.

Edited by Scully

10 hours ago, poontang said:

'Rory' Stewart... or to give him his proper name Roderick James Nugent Stewart.

Yep, his real name is Rod Stewart. 

Do you think he's sexy? 😂

I think he's scarey and he's got ears like Tony Blair ☹️

Having had a night's sleep, I can say it was a badly presented shambles. No-one enhanced their prospects and some did real damage. Javid said little or nothing of importance. Rory Stewart displayed his odd behaviour to a wider audience.

It reminded me of the US presidential debates - embarrassing. I see why Boris avoided the first - they all need to avoid another. Few Prime Ministers are good on TV. Tony Blair - who I have no time for - was the master of TV, but I can't think of another.

8 hours ago, Scully said:

We’re just going round and round in the Brexit debate.

Following the second world war, sometime in the late 40s and after getting demobbed and marrying my mother, my father secured a job in an old-fashioned mental asylum that stood in its own extensive grounds on the east coast of Scotland. He was taken on as the asylum's medical physician, and my mother, who was a qualified ward sister, was also employed there in some kind of senior nursing capacity. Their jobs were residential, and under the terms of what was a pretty onerous contract they were allowed only one weekend off a month and the rest of the time they were required to be on call within the grounds of the hospital pretty much 24/7. I remember my father telling me that the strangest and scariest thing about it was that, by the end of a month, life in the asylum would have become perfectly normal and it was only when they went out into the streets of the local town and suddenly interacted with sane, everyday people that it came home with a jolt that 95% of the usual people they dealt with on a daily basis were completely out of their minds. But normally, they didn't notice because it was like that all the time. The usual parameters of behaviour simply weren't there and after a while it almost ceased to matter - until they went into the outside world and it was like stepping out from the looking glass.

After listening to the politicians and reading the media for weeks on end, it strikes me that in the Brexit context a speech from Sir Ivan is something like that. Back to reality....