Conservative leadership race - merged threads

Walker570

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Retsdon said:

Following the second world war, sometime in the late 40s and after getting demobbed and marrying my mother, my father secured a job in an old-fashioned mental asylum that stood in its own extensive grounds on the east coast of Scotland. He was taken on as the asylum's medical physician, and my mother, who was a qualified ward sister, was also employed there in some kind of senior nursing capacity. Their jobs were residential, and under the terms of what was a pretty onerous contract they were allowed only one weekend off a month and the rest of the time they were required to be on call within the grounds of the hospital pretty much 24/7. I remember my father telling me that the strangest and scariest thing about it was that, by the end of a month, life in the asylum would have become perfectly normal and it was only when they went out into the streets of the local town and suddenly interacted with sane, everyday people that it came home with a jolt that 95% of the usual people they dealt with on a daily basis were completely out of their minds. But normally, they didn't notice because it was like that all the time. The usual parameters of behaviour simply weren't there and after a while it almost ceased to matter - until they went into the outside world and it was like stepping out from the looking glass.

After listening to the politicians and reading the media for weeks on end, it strikes me that in the Brexit context a speech from Sir Ivan is something like that. Back to reality....

That is exactly like being a carer for a dementia patient.............my daughter is the one looking for a permanant care home for her not me....cause she dosnt deal with it 24/7 and im used to it....i even start to think like it and talk like it..............but my daughter is the one that is having trouble connecting with her..

good post :good:

11 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i see the BBC has come under fire again with another speaker on this, he changed his question i believe ? been suspended at the school he worked and from the from local mosque,  

It said on the news it was to do with things he has said about women and something else, missed it, he was checked before hand but reactivated a twitter account after the program.

51 minutes ago, ditchman said:

That is exactly like being a carer for a dementia patient.

To be honest Ditchie, it's not far removed from living in Saudi Arabia. When I get out I always figure it takes me +/- 6 weeks to decompress and start thinking like a normal person again. The trouble is, a few weeks later and it's back in the box time again. But I suppose we all do what we have to do and make the best of it. Nothing else for it.

13 minutes ago, das said:

Scruffy sod, slumped in his chair, talking nuts, it was obvious he was going next.

He got slated on the telly today, tie on then off, in his chair then out?? While the stools didn't look that comfy you would think he could manage to sit still for an hour??

Didn't do himself any favours, but I'm sure it said on the radio he was calling for the others to get behind him so he can stop Borris? Cuckoo springs to mind.

18 minutes ago, Mice! said:

He got slated on the telly today, tie on then off, in his chair then out?? While the stools didn't look that comfy you would think he could manage to sit still for an hour??

So how he sits or doesn't should be  a factor? No fan of Rory Stewart here, but hey...

Why has the BBC bothered.The general public have not got a say on who is going to be the next PM.Unless you are a member of the conservative party we can't do a thing about who is going into number 10.Looking at the options I am glad I haven't got to make a decision.

39 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

So how he sits or doesn't should be  a factor? No fan of Rory Stewart here, but hey...

Would you want someone leading the country who didn't seem at ease in a controlled discussion environment, how would he cope under real pressure?

It was in effect an interview and his actions and behaviour ruled him out.

1 minute ago, Rewulf said:

Next !

There were 7 questioners;

Of those 7, three were highly questionable and had a motive to disrupt the Tories internal electoral process.

• One was an Iman who was known for anti Israel 'tweets' and views and had also declared support for Corbyn.  He has been suspended from his job as a head teacher, and I believe his post at the mosque.
  • One was a Labour activist working for a solicitors who were working for the Labour party on issues of anti semitism with again a record of unpleasant past tweets (anti semitic).  He has been suspended from his employing solicitors firm.
  • One was a declared environmental activist, under the age to vote anyway, and with a record of campaigning against the government.

These were supposed to be 'normal members of the public'.  That would be 'normal' people, factory workers, shop workers, pensioners, transport services workers, postmen, NHS staff, council workers etc.  Not solicitors, religious leaders, and school pupils under voting age.

In my view, (and I appreciate it isn't everyones view) the whole televising of the debate was wrong;  It is an internal process for the Tory party ...... whose own MPs at that initial stage (followed by members (I'm not one) at the final choice of 'one from two' stage) are the only people who get to vote.  The debate was poorly run, the choice of questioners at best very badly 'vetted' and possibly deliberately chosen to obstruct the debate and make (all) candidates look poor.

There will no doubt be (or certainly should be) a large number of complaints to the BBC - and as usual, the BBC will stroll happily along ignoring all criticism.

2 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

The debate was poorly run, the choice of questioners at best very badly 'vetted' and possibly deliberately chosen to obstruct the debate and make (all) candidates look poor.

Its the BBC , what did you expect? 😄

And Maitlis is an anti tory remainer if Im any judge.

2 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Its the BBC , what did you expect? 😄

And Maitlis is an anti tory remainer if Im any judge.

I doubt Maitlis actually did any of the selecting questions - that would have been the 'production team'.  She did present badly and was quite unsuitable for the role.  It needs a strong person, a Jeremy Paxman, Robin Day, (one of the family) Dimbleby, Andrew Neil, John Humphrys type to be in proper control

54 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I doubt Maitlis actually did any of the selecting questions - that would have been the 'production team'.  She did present badly and was quite unsuitable for the role.  It needs a strong person, a Jeremy Paxman, Robin Day, (one of the family) Dimbleby, Andrew Neil, John Humphrys type to be in proper control

Might be difficult to get hold of Robin Day

Down to three now with Boris apparently having half the Tories behind him, it will be two tonight so Gove or Hunt against Boris.

Then what? Cabinet reshuffles, some messing about and hopefully get on with brexit, or will Corbyn challenge before that seeing a weakened party?

26 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Down to three now with Boris apparently having half the Tories behind him, it will be two tonight so Gove or Hunt against Boris.

Then what? Cabinet reshuffles, some messing about and hopefully get on with brexit, or will Corbyn challenge before that seeing a weakened party?

Looks like Boris with whichever side kick he chooses. See he is now rethinking 31st Oct and has little in the way of a plan. Looks like an election looms. 

Edited by oowee

57 minutes ago, oowee said:

Looks like Boris with whichever side kick he chooses. See he is now rethinking 31st Oct and has little in the way of a plan. Looks like an election looms. 

Boris will stand against whoever the Conservative MPs decide to put up against him.

He will win, become the new PM and hopefully get us on the road to finally leaving the Great White Elephant!