My 1st roe buck

Well ive only gone and shot my 1st roe buck.

Words cannot describe this but you all know that feeling now. I had asked a good friend to mentor and guide me and he was brilliant throughout. It was a challenging stalk, the wind had changed slightly through the day and had gotten cooler. We looked at a few areas and saw a doe and fawn munching away and moved round to more beilded areas. My mate spotted the doe and buck grazing over 500yds away and the ideal spot would have been straight upwind about 90 degress round not great but we managed to loop round 180 degrees without disturbing them both. The buck had made up some ground and was slightly further forward than i had imagined. He was lined up and shot taken. Seeing the buck fall i was overwhelmed by all sorts of emotions more so when we walked the 100 or so yards to where he had fallen, i was humbled to have shot such a fine beast 1st time out but happy that there is little wasted and will all go to some use. Gralloched on the spot and is now ready for the chiller and the butchering lesson. Loved the whole experience. Now whats the chances of sleep......

IMG_20190620_225740.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My first was nearly 60 years ago . Shot with a sporteriesd  SMLE .303 British with military ball ammo and open sights ,Shot at about 70 yards and was killed instantly . I can remember every second of that stalk . All my early years of stalking was done with the SMLE and iron sights . My old mentor used to say that these telescope sights will never catch on .

harnser

Very nice. I recall my first Roe buck clearly, shot prone off a bipod at a tad over 200 yards with a .243 Remington BDL and a Hawke scope. The rifle had seen much better days but it was all I could afford back then, as was the Hawke, but they did the job...bang on the button and the Buck dropped like a stone...not that I saw it as the recoil bounced my bipod. No mod' you see. 🙂

On 21/06/2019 at 09:58, novice cushie shooter said:

Seeing the buck fall i was overwhelmed by all sorts of emotions...

Very well done on the buck 👍

I understand those feelings having shot my first boar and second deer in the last year. I didn't get too overwhelmed with my first deer because like you I had a mentor on hand. I was very happy, but it wasn't quite the same. Everyone and every situation are different I suppose.