Cool engineering

henry d

I come from a family of engineers and spent time as an engineer and remember years ago being in awe of seeing on Tomorrows World a tree felling machine.

Not far from where I sometimes walk my dog they have been doing some ground work and are putting in sheet pilings, so a few afternoons I have watched them drill and put in the pilings and I have to say I am in awe again of the engineering and skills of the operators. I would do it an injustice by trying to explain it but THIS VIDEO shows how they interlink the sheets and then drive them into the ground. Locally they have drilled the ground first so that the pilings have softer ground to drive into, it looks simple but there must be some amount of skill involved to get it just right to the point where someone is checking it for square (as in the video).

Looks like the machine plumbs it up as the driver wouldn't be able to see.

Watched them years ago with a vibrating tool and a hole in the sheet to attach it.

As you say the engineering and technology in modern machinery is great to see in action.

The modern tree felling machines, cut strip and measure the trunk. It then decided the best yeild for that trunk and cuts to length accordingly. 

Edited by figgy

That's amazing, cool driver skills too :) I've always been fascinated with engineering and mans inventiveness, can sit there watching hours of "How do they do it" type of programmes. What I find breathtaking is the skill that goes into designing and manufacturing the factory machines that perform so many intricate movements in rapid succession with near zero failure rates. 

5 hours ago, figgy said:

Looks like the machine plumbs it up as the driver wouldn't be able to see.

Exactly my thoughts, but the operator has to link them together as the sheets have "C" or "S" shaped ends that interlink similar to below, and sometimes they are doing this and the wind is blowing a hooley. Excellent skills imho.

products-u-profile-image-profile-480x200

8 hours ago, Hamster said:

can sit there watching hours of "How do they do it" type of programmes.

I can watch stuff like that all night long...but have you had the misfortune to catch the "dumbed down version"? Where they have 'experts' passing pithy and unfunny comments/idiot facts on each item?    Ruins the entire programme for me

How the do it and extreme engineering are favourite viewing for me. Just wouldn't fathom how some stuff is made or how complex it can be. How stuff is made is another to watch.

Henry d I agree the driver had to have skill to line up the edge but they do it day in day out.