Dog names

walshie

We've just bought a Rhodesian Ridgeback bitch puppy. We don't pick her up for a few weeks yet as she's very young.

In the tradition of naming Ridgebacks with African names, we've narrowed it down to 4, but are having trouble deciding which one, so I put it to PW to help us decide. (Not that it really matters as mrs w will call her what she wants anyway.) :lol: Here's the choices and their meanings.

Kaya: Restful (Zulu)

Zula: Brilliant (Zulu)

Kali: Fierce (Swahili)

Zuri: Beautiful (Swahili)

Thanks.

If I remember correctly, the Ridgeback is not actually Rhodesian - but South African - and Swahili is not one of the indigenous languages of South Africa so, as well as the Zulu choices, maybe something in Xhosa, Tsonga, Venda, Afrikaans or one of the other languages?

Great dogs. 

What was that glove puppet from years ago...ah yes ...SPIT.  I thought it a great name for a gun dog, short sharp and clear and did not sound like any other dogs name.

At the end of the day it really is your choice that matters and any of those will fit nicely and have some relevance.  Haven't seen a phot yet have we?

11 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

What was that glove puppet from years ago...ah yes ...SPIT.  I thought it a great name for a gun dog, short sharp and clear and did not sound like any other dogs name.

At the end of the day it really is your choice that matters and any of those will fit nicely and have some relevance.  Haven't seen a phot yet have we?

Haven't got her home yet. Few weeks to wait till then. Going to see her again next week. I'll try to get a pic then. 

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Sounds like sit.