The world HAS gone made...

Walker570

4 hours ago, welsh1 said:

He had no insurance, he has said this will bankrupt him.

Many house insurance policies cover people for third party claims against the house owner! This has been successfully claimed before in other cases! Perhaps he can look into that! 

I am not not fully aware of the going’s on of this incident! But walking out onto a carriageway while your face is planted firmly into your phone is not a common sense move! If a car mounted a pavement I can understand! But for a pedestrian to turn lemming and then have the temerity to Sue is beyond mad! 

In Gosforth the council spent silly money in fitting out part of the existing road into cycleways with raised barriers to protect cyclists from other road users! But the cyclists prefer the footpath as they dodge the lights. When remonstrating their actions for almost mowing you down, you get a torrent of abuse and told “I am not obliged to use a cycle lane?” 

Then why lobby government and councils for infrastructure, then urinate on it? 

Maybe the pedestrian would do well to ask a 5 years old to teach her the green cross code🤔 perhaps she should try that move in the Netherlands! 

Edited by Lord Geordie

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be like the McDonald’s hot coffee thing in the states.  At first you look at it and think it was the old ladies fault but when you look at the facts and the photos of the 3rd degree burns and the fact McDonald’s was fined over 25 times for the coffee being to hot it makes sense.  I all honestly McDonald’s should have had to pay more because of the smear campaign they ran against her.  The funny part about that was all she asked for was for McDonald’s to  pay for her skin graphs and they refused.  She went to court and they awarded her 100 times more then she originally asked for do to the blatant negligence.  

11 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

Then taking this to it's extreme, you are moving down a highway at well below the designated speed limit and as you get to within, say 5 m, a pedestrian takes a sudden turn, with or without looking, into your path you are expected to be able to stop.  If this is truly the case the roads would grind to a halt.

https://www.digbybrown.co.uk/solicitors/news-main/what-happens-if-pedestrians-are-partly-to-blame-for-the-road-accident

Don't just take it from me, if you hit a pedestrian, even if they step out in front of you, you can expect a claim and expect it to cost you lots of money. 

Edited to add the trial judges comments " cyclists must be prepared at all times for people to behave in unexpected ways", Judge Shanti Mauger said.

Edited by GingerCat

16 hours ago, Walker570 said:

No, he did not have insurance, which brings me to another subject.  Should all cycle riders have to have insurance.  I live on a regular cycle run and although many of the regular club riders come through here are spot on and ride in a safe manner,  there are some who just believe because they are on a racing cycle they can do as they wish.  Should they have liability insurance?

Definitely. They can be an absolute menace. Should be mandatory.

2 weeks ago I went out on my motorbike to Biggin Hill to buy some cartridges, about 20 mins each way and had 3 lots of cyclists (MAMILs) pull out in front of me.

They took no responsibility for there own safety.

I was mainly worried if they knocked me off having to spend hours picking up 500 Eley Selects.

20 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Perfectly innocent cyclist riding down the road and the lights are on green so he continues his journey only for some stupid woman to step out infront of him. Swerved to attempt to avoid and she turns into his path realising she has made a mistake.  OK so far ??   Then she decides to sue him for damages, problem on a no win deal and he is found guilty and fined £4500 and faces possible court costs of £100,000. How on earth does a judge come to that decision?

Oh he was doing 10 to 15mph !!!  Well he is perfectly entitled to and not have some idiot step into his path.

Bloody cyclists shouldn't be on road anyway. 😏

24 minutes ago, henry d said:

Going on the reports in the press, he shouted and used an airhorn, would it not be more prudent to use the brakes?

That, I believe was the slant that the judge took.

It appears that he was attempting to assert his right of way rather than being prudent

Not a motorised vehicle .You suggesting my 8 year old girl needs insurance to ride her pink tinsel bike to school ? Over my years ive seen this world go from what i would call rational and sensible to down right bonkers .lets not try and make it worse than it already is .

If some one wants to walk around as a phone zombie that fine but accept when you make a mistake walking out into traffic or bike in this case .Would it be ok for the cyclist to be looking at his phone while riding ? 

4 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Would it be ok for the cyclist to be looking at his phone while riding ? 

No word of a lie, driving to work this morning a lad/ young bloke riding his bike no hands whilst typing with both hands, ok it was quiet and early, he put one hand on his handle bars whilst two of us went past him, he obviously didn't see what happened to Chris Frome 😯 

The question is why did the court find the cyclist to be responsible?

The world hasn't gone mad; he is just another aggressive cyclist expecting anyone and everyone to get out of his way. The woman didn't hear him yelling at her (nice!) and so, instead of slowing down to a safe speed, he rode close to her and blew his air horn (air horn on a bike? What does that say about him?). She was startled and jumped back toward the pavement and right into his path. The woman may not have being paying attention but it's clear he could have easily avoided a collision. Instead he behaved like a typical angry cyclist and tried a nasty stunt to scare her which went horribly wrong.

If the forum allowed the words I'd say what I really think of him!

He won't be bankrupted BTW as there plenty of "supporters" raising funds to pay his costs.

15 minutes ago, Westward said:

The question is why did the court find the cyclist to be responsible?

The world hasn't gone mad; he is just another aggressive cyclist expecting anyone and everyone to get out of his way. The woman didn't hear him yelling at her (nice!) and so, instead of slowing down to a safe speed, he rode close to her and blew his air horn (air horn on a bike? What does that say about him?). She was startled and jumped back toward the pavement and right into his path. The woman may not have being paying attention but it's clear he could have easily avoided a collision. Instead he behaved like a typical angry cyclist and tried a nasty stunt to scare her which went horribly wrong.

If the forum allowed the words I'd say what I really think of him!

He won't be bankrupted BTW as there plenty of "supporters" raising funds to pay his costs.

Sadly, doesn't solve the problem of the judiciary being out of kilter due to political interference?

On 24/06/2019 at 11:13, old man said:

Sadly, doesn't solve the problem of the judiciary being out of kilter due to political interference?

Perhaps, but I don't see any political interference with this case, it all seems pretty cut and dried.  For some reason that's beyond my comprehension it happens to many people that once they get on bike they lose all sense of reasonableness and the capability to make any sort of allowance for others, whether on the road, the pavement or even the canal towpath. And that's without mentioning the blatant lawbreaking such as riding the wrong way along one way streets, jumping red lights or forming a 70 bike peloton and riding 3 abreast at 15 mph along country roads and holding up huge convoys of fuming motorists.

11 minutes ago, Westward said:

Perhaps, but I don't see any political interference with this case, it all seems pretty cut and dried.  For some reason that's beyond my comprehension it happens to many people that once they get on bike they lose all sense of reasonableness and the capability to make any sort of allowance for others, whether on the road, the pavement or even the canal towpath. And that's without mentioning the blatant lawbreaking such as riding the wrong way along one way streets, jumping red lights or forming a 70 bike peloton and riding 3 abreast at 15 mph along country roads and holding up huge convoys of fuming motorists.

There are equally abusive and stupid pedestrians out there too, trust me.

1 hour ago, Westward said:

The politicos are always tinkering behind the scenes to weaken the position of the CPS and Judiciary, usually because they are convinced by lobbyists that a certain element of society is currently disadvantaged. Maybe why i'ts all going to hell in a handcart?

The levels of aggression out there are now beyond normal comprehension?