Johnny’s Rubber

Clodhopper

For the last few weeks I have been walking my local river looking for shoals of Bream. Having found a suitable area and quite a few Bream I was a little excited for the opening of the season. Unfortunately the rain came and the river became a bit of a mess. However the rain has missed us for the last few days and the levels have dropped nicely. 

The chosen area was raked and fed on Wednesday evening with a view to fish on Friday. I invited JDog to join me as I know he likes to Dangle. We met at 5.45pm and made our way down across the fields to the chosen spot. On route we saw numerous young Lapwings which was quite amazing as the area has been inundated with crows.

The plan was to float fish maggots and sweet corn. As we set up my companion had significant difficult getting the rubber positioned correctly, at his age I thought he would know better. I was not willing to help. 30 minutes later we were set up and awaiting the bites. 

It was a beautiful sunny evening and a joy to be out in the countryside which was a good thing as the bites were few and far between. I think the flood has moved the fish to other areas. JDog managed a whopper of a Roach, around 3oz. I fared a little better with 2 similar fish, a hybrid of around half a pound and a lovely Rudd of a similar size. 

On the last cast as it was nearly too dark to see, my float bobbed twice and sunk below the surface. I struck and felt a heavy resistance. After a brief struggle a lovely bronze Bream rolled on the surface then dived down for more frantic action. I was just thinking I was winning when it rolled again on the surface snapping my hook length.

We plan to return after a little more feeding and hopefully a little more settled Weather. Meanwhile JDog is practicing his rubber application.

It has been a long time since I used a rubber and by the time I had worked it out the moment had passed.

We set ourselves the targets of one 4lb bream and one 1lb roach between us and on that score we failed miserably. However we spent four hours in the middle of nowhere surrounded only by the sounds of Sedge warblers, Whitethroats and a Cuckoo, the latter doing it's normal cuckooing which is unusual for late June.

Pictures canal 2.jpg

Pictures canal 1.jpg

41 minutes ago, JDog said:

It has been a long time since I used a rubber and by the time I had worked it out the moment had passed.

I think I saw what you did there. Or is it just my mind going back years, when the man in the chemist showed you how to put it on, using his thumb :yahoo:

33 minutes ago, JDog said:

We set ourselves the targets of one 4lb bream and one 1lb roach between us and on that score we failed miserably. However we spent four hours in the middle of nowhere surrounded only by the sounds of Sedge warblers, Whitethroats and a Cuckoo, the latter doing it's normal cuckooing which is unusual for late June.

Pictures canal 2.jpg

Pictures canal 1.jpg

Peace and tranguility ....... A good fish would have put the icing on the cake but just being there is enough to satisfy the soul .

I have often stood around a flight pond on a warm Septembers evening and just watched the countryside going to sleep and left the odd Teal alone rather than disturb the peace , far more to field sports than what end up in the bag . 

7 hours ago, ditchman said:

in this context........what is a rubber....................a zodiac inflatable ............?

I did wonder that myself, but didn't like to ask. Zodiac inflatables and packets of three are the only ones that I've had dealings with .......... many years ago though.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

At the risk of being too obvious, is it the float rubber used to set the depth that the hook hangs to?

In all honesty when I heard mumblings about fitting a rubber I moved another 50 yards away and left the old man to it. 

I can confirm that I was using 2 float rubbers to set the depth of my bait. God only knows what was happening in the rushes to my left, he had a smile on his face when we reconvened at the end of the day.

On 23/06/2019 at 14:11, Clodhopper said:

Update:

My wife has now learnt of Friday nights exploits and has now banned me from going out with men I have met on the internet. 

that is funny..............

is it because she is aware of what the priverldged classes got up to at skool..............

(did you take it in turns with the pigs head)

Edited by ditchman

12 minutes ago, ditchman said:

that is funny..............

is it because she is aware of what the priverldged classes got up to at skool..............

(did you take it in turns with the pigs head)

It was the fitting of the intestine that was of some concern and that I failed to wash my hands before I came to bed.