Out in The Hot Sun

We had two calls this weekend , one return trip to the turnips and one to downed barley. So we headed out at 08.00 to shoot the turnips and crows on the sheep food. The idea was to shoot till eleven and then move off on to the barley. As we drove up the sheep field it was evident that the crows were on the sheep food and watching the field the flightline to the turnips was close. So we set up for the crows and put out six crows around the feeders and twelve pigeons to the right of us . All the decoys were on spikes, the crows were the first to return and I tried to shoot with my new prescription sunglasses much to the amusement of DB absolute carp. A few pigeons showed interest and paid the price. At 11.00 I went to view the downed barley with the intention to move if it was viable. I view the field, nothing , two blow holes the size of a Disco , put up a shot and six birds lifted . Drove down along the first field to the second field and it was as perfect as one of DJogs lawns, not a bird. Put up six shots and nothing moved out of the trees so decided to retreat and go back to the turnips and the Pigeons and the  crows.

When I arrived back , we had a visiter from Coventry one of the TopGunners team. We made him welcome and extracted the pith at every opportunity with the classic " Dont miss these two"  and he did. He did chastise me for shooting crows on the floor but I did explain I  was also cutting the grass. For some reason my shooting technique left my brain, the method should be two coming in let the first one land shoot the second and the first when it lifts, for some reason I was shooting the first and trying to shoot the second which was spooked. Old Age thats what I put it down to. We shot till 17.00 and the total for the day was one hundred and two pigeons and One hundred and twentyeight corvids. I posted a picture to the Farmer and he suggested I send it to a Mr Chris Packham!!!!!

IMG-1473.jpg

128 Corvids and 102 Pigeons. I think the dogs tired!!!

Edited by pigeon controller

56 minutes ago, JDog said:

You lost me. You went back to shoot the turnips and the crows but ended up with 102 pigeons?

We need a picture of you in the new sun glasses. I imagine you looking like a Mexican cartel member.

"El Colomba Mortosa"

1 hour ago, JDog said:

You lost me. You went back to shoot the turnips and the crows but ended up with 102 pigeons?

We need a picture of you in the new sun glasses. I imagine you looking like a Mexican cartel member.

We set up on the grass field next to the turnip field to shoot the crows and the decoys for the pigeons at the side of us under the flightline to the turnips. The first twenty odd pigeons were more flighting birds than decoyers, but after that they came in range well.

We use to shoot crows and pigeons together in the past but you can not use any magnest etc as the crows seem to be wary but the pigeons seem to have confidence being close to the crows but not mixed.

With respect to the Cartel Member I would have to dye the supertash black for effect!!!!!

9 hours ago, ditchman said:

if the police got a hold of that photo they would track you down and arrest you for making netting out of old ladys nickers.....

:good:

Its very difficult to tell the colours you are stealing off the washing lines in the dark at night, but the aroma when it gets wet sends the dog loopy!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, pigeon controller said:

Its very difficult to tell the colours you are stealing off the washing lines in the dark at night, but the aroma when it gets wet sends the dog loopy!!!!!!!!

:lol::good:..........must have a nose to it like a fine wine...

Pest control at its best, no doubt those corvids would soon be helping themselves to the laid Barley, along with the pigeons too. I am a little disappointed you did not cut down all of those trees behind you before you shot as that may have deterred the birds without the need for lethal methods. But I suppose you live and learn.

52 minutes ago, Clodhopper said:

Pest control at its best, no doubt those corvids would soon be helping themselves to the laid Barley, along with the pigeons too. I am a little disappointed you did not cut down all of those trees behind you before you shot as that may have deterred the birds without the need for lethal methods. But I suppose you live and learn.

We tried but the hacksaw blade broke and the chainsaw was out of petrol!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, muncher said:

Nicely done PC,Motty and I tried 3 fields yesterday to not much joy.

I think Motty is keeping his clover field a guarded secret until you are back at work :lol: , I went as far as Cromer today for a run out and saw stacks of Wheat and Barley fields either down or large patches laying at an angle , there were pigeons down feeding and several sitting on the telegraph wires but if they were acting like the field I was on yesterday afternoon they had a great deal of choice once they were disturbed and after a few shots they were never seen again and it ended up sitting there enjoying the sunshine with very little shooting .

34 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I think Motty is keeping his clover field a guarded secret until you are back at work :lol: , I went as far as Cromer today for a run out and saw stacks of Wheat and Barley fields either down or large patches laying at an angle , there were pigeons down feeding and several sitting on the telegraph wires but if they were acting like the field I was on yesterday afternoon they had a great deal of choice once they were disturbed and after a few shots they were never seen again and it ended up sitting there enjoying the sunshine with very little shooting .

No you were trying non lethal means so if they are there later blast away:good::lol:

On 23/06/2019 at 07:34, JDog said:

On 23/06/2019 at 08:32, ditchman said:

"El Colomba Mortosa"

23 hours ago, motty said:

Great result for the supertash! I think you would look the part with a jet black facial adornment.

IMG-1479.jpg

Following your recent comments the local Drug Dealers have rejected me but I've been recruited by another " Brummie " gang. The Beaky Blinders.

Edited by pigeon controller