Semi Auto,

redial

had the same old A303 26" for 20 years...and as far as i can remember ive only ever had 3 partial ejections with it...and 2 of them was with Hull comp X (quite a light cartridge i believe)....cant shoot no where as well with it as my 26" sxs.......but i will no way get rid of it ...i just like using the bloody thing.......

now...how perverse is that ?:lol:

Up your budget to around a grand and get a used Benelli super sport. I've had some semis and own two a supersport and a maxus.

The Benelli is made for clays and is great on pigeon shooting too. Brownig Maxus is ok but not in same league. 

Don't rule out a new ATA for less than £700 I bought an ATA VENZA semi auto which is based on a Beretta, it is extremely light and very reliable, a good pal of mine is a highly respected gunsmith and when I showed it him he stripped it down and couldn't believe the quality of the build. and the Turkish Walnut on it is stunning.

Edited by rapid .25

6 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

I think the franchi affinity is probably the lightest and most pointable I handled. 

The A303 is a good gun, like ditchy I found the only thing mine wouldn't cycle was comp x, you can pick an absolutely mint one for £400-500 and a rough one for a heck of a lot less. 

compared with the new auto's the a303 is a bit of a beast....very much a yesteryear auto..........alright for a hide gun...but wouldnt like to walk around with it much...

Owned quite  few autos over the years:-

Remington, Franchi, Fabarm, Beretta, KFC, Benelli, Baikal, Hatsan, Nikko, Smith and Wesson and more. Shot with a Winchester SX3. Best handling were the Remingtons. Best for the money - Winchester.

Edited by Gordon R

6 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Owned quite  few autos over the years:-

Remington, Franchi, Fabarm, Beretta, KFC, Benelli, Baikal, Hatsan, Nikko, Smith and Wesson and more. Shot with a Winchester SX3. Best handling were the Remingtons. Best for the money - Winchester.

Im surprised more people don’t have Remingtons over here, see a lot of Beretta, Benelli etc. 

I bought a second hand 11-87 premier off here and it’s been brilliant, shoots great on clays and pigeons. 

I looked them up online and American duck hunters have nothing but good to say about them. 

Could pick up a 1100-11-87 for a lot less than the OP is looking to spend! 

22 minutes ago, hawkfanz said:

£700 will get u a good a300 outlander,if you want a well known make,,,but why not the armsan a612, you,ll have money left for carts.

Coz they just don't "feel" quality like something like the Beretta. Tried an A612 when I was shopping for an SA and came away with a AL390 Golden Mallard for the same money. The Armsan just felt a bit "tinny", only way I can describe it. Fine if you want a tool to chuck in the Landy it's just not what I was looking for at the time. 

7 hours ago, ditchman said:

compared with the new auto's the a303 is a bit of a beast....very much a yesteryear auto..........alright for a hide gun...but wouldnt like to walk around with it much...

No, that's the reason I sold mine, I had the 30" sporter I'd get halfway round the perms and my arms would be burnt out 😂 

22 hours ago, adzyvilla said:

Another shout for armsan a612. For £700 you can get a new one and 1000 cartridges and still have change. I think they are great value for money. 

I have a 612, put hundreds of rounds through it and I cant remember a time when I have had a single malfunction.  I was going to upgrade it for something better like an M2 or Maxus but cant see the point as it works so well. Cant see the point is spending more to be honest, as its just my rough/hide gun.  

Some great autos recommended, but how are they great for clays and a bit of pigeon shooting seiing there mainly field guns.

Yes Winchester did a red Flanigun with tricked out bits but getting old and rare now.

Browning do a maxus sporting clays model.

Not sure about Remington sporting clays or just field guns.

Go handle and shoot clays with as many as you can. I did and the reason I shoot a Benelli Super Sport is nothing else came close for clay shooting as it's what it was designed to shoot.  Untill Breda unveiled the 930 which looks like a rip off of the Benelli super sport.

We all know and have some wonderful over and unders for game and field that can shoot clays. But not like a designed clay shooting gun can. Beretta have some great clay bashing autos too.

Edited by figgy

5 hours ago, figgy said:

Browning do a maxus sporting clays model.

That’s what I thought. Off I went to my RFD to order one and he spent a day on the phone. Earliest he could grab on was December 2019, realistically Mar 2020. It seems browning like to put them in the website without the ability to actually deliver.

Bought a black/gold instead.