Child coaching book?

I’ve recently bought a junior shotgun and introduced my son (8) to the basics of shooting safety and shooting tin cans (always closely supervised obviously).

id like to help him develop his shooting without getting too many bad habits but at the moment his attention span and strength aren’t up to formal lessons etc.

Are there any recommended  books or videos that I could watch in order to help me coach him at a basic level?

all the best

mike

We've been shotgun shooting for nigh on 200 years and in that time there has been plenty of books written; some good and some poor. Many will appear dated in terms of prose, pictures and for some unknown reason, a few are written by retired armed forces officers with a rank of major. However, because there's nothing new under the sun, although the book may seem dated the content remains valid. The Art Of Good Shooting by Major JEM Ruffer is readily available quite cheaply second hand and is one of the better ones. It's not for youngsters but as it's about instinctive shooting  it's ideal for anyone who has not yet picked up any bad habits. Worth a punt for you to read and to pass on to the lad. The one thing to note though is that what he proposes - and because it's instinctive it can't really be called a 'method' - is pretty much reliant on good gun fit which would have been the norm back when he started writing and doesn't work too well when this is not the case.

If you would like to PM me your address I will post you a Book of Shooting Technique by Michael Rose and Jackie Stewart. It is very simply explained and shown with line drawings, almost cartoons. I think it would be useful for showing a youngster. You are welcome to it if you would like it sir.

19 minutes ago, London Best said:

If you would like to PM me your address I will post you a Book of Shooting Technique by Michael Rose and Jackie Stewart. It is very simply explained and shown with line drawings, almost cartoons. I think it would be useful for showing a youngster. You are welcome to it if you would like it sir.

Thank you so much!

ill send you a PM