Another Catapult.

fatchap

I have been working on this one for quite a while now, needed a palm swell and finger swell, and had to be made out of posh wood, The core is 18mm beech ply the expensive stuff some call it multiplex I call it ply.

Downloaded a suitable template and cut out the core on the bandsaw, The red is purple heart with a snakewood cap, I dyed  the core walnut and using the dremmel shaped it to how I wanted. I then went about making the ply look like its got grain using the dremmel to "distress" the wood sadly nothing can be done for the ply look on the sides. 

I had a hell of a job with the final finish, I sanded it to 2000 grit and gave it a coat of boiled linseed oil wiped off what didn't soak in then gave it a few coats of lacquer which for reason I do not know turned to a sticky gooey mess, So I had to rub it all down again and start again. This time I went for a shellac finish, 10 coats and I think it looks adequately shiney.

The chap thats ordered it wants latex tubes, don't ask me why, As theraband gold is the bench mark in catapult elastic, Faster, powerfuller but don't last as long. But its a bit like the .177 or .22 debate choice I suppose

Not made a catapult that requitrd tubes so I had to come up with a method of attaching the elastic, a quick butchers on you tube told me all I need to know, Not sure I would trust this method but apparently the tubes wont shift at all as they are wrapped around a brass bar then pulled back through the hole, I've tested it with a few 9mm steel balls and the are seeming to stay put. 

I hope he's happy with it, especially how much work has gone into it.

20190623-110406.jpg

Looking pretty shiney still

20190623-110424.jpg

You can see the attachment method here.

20190623-110438.jpg

I am quite happy with it and one day may get round to making one for me.

Its either left or right handed,I went for that shape as I forgot to ask the bloke if he was left or right handed. there are quite a few templates you can download, but as you say that one seems to be quite popular. 

I've designed a few myself, made an "ergo" out of olive wood which was my own design based on the ergo shape. 

Edited by fatchap