BSA Meteor .22 Air Rifle

user001

hello,

my first post, so i hope its in the right forum.

i was wondering if anyone could give me info on a BSA-Meteor22 ... i am thinking of purchasing one, and would like to know if this would be a good choice...

*how far will it generally fire too?

*is it accurate?

*durability?

*anything else...

It will be generally used for target + bird shooting...

thanks,

Welcome to the site, User001,

I used to have a BSA Meteor many years ago. I found it acurate and powerful, however, it was brand new. Unfortunately I haven't any technical jargon I can offer, hopefully someone here can.

Best regards

Rimfire

Welcome to the Forum user 001

The BSA Meteor is a no nonsence value for money spring powered introductory air rifle.

Is this your first Air rifle?

The Meteor has stood the test of time is reliable and a poular model for those new to Airgun Shooting. It is also relatively easy to work on and spares are readily available.

The optimum range for a .22 to drop vermin such as crows, jackdaws, pigeons etc would be in the order of 20-25m within this range it is as accurate as most spring guns in its price range.

However it has a maximum Muzzle energy of 8ft lbs which is 2/3 of the legal limit of 12ftlbs and as such is not really suitable for hunting at anything other than short range. (I am not sure what restrictions apply in Australia so you best talk to your supplier)

You would be better to consider a BSA Supersport in 12 ft lb. Although more expensive it is accurate and powerful and a good allround tool. You may be able to pick up a good second hand model by scouring the Airgun advertisers on the internet.

FM

Go for an xocet there quite cheap mine cost £130

the stock isnt the best in the world mine snapped when i droped it but after buying a new one and accidently droping it again ??? it was fine

i think the stock that broke was just a one off

i use mine for pigeon magpie and rabbit hunting and the odd rat now and again using bisley pest control pellets anything within 10m and they over penetrate

ps strip it and paint it black

xocet.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi All, Ive got a BSA Meteor Mk6 in .177 Cal, and its good. Had it for a few years, had no loss of power and is nice and accurate too with consistent shots. U can always change the spring and tune em if u need to, but I find the standard 10ft/lbs they put on the 177 is more than enough for general shooting, but not for long range hunting.

A typical Meteor puts out 10 ft/lb. It's a thouroughly decent basic gun that'll last decades with little maintainance. The Webley Xocet is very little more new and is a full power gun that is a fair bit better than anything else at the price. If you can afford the difference then I'd suggest you do.