Sunny Weather

steve_b_wales

After all the lousy weather we've had this past two weeks, yesterday was a cracker. My mate ade1971 and myself decided to go on one of our permissions and have a few hours target practice, and for me, to zero my new scope.(Hawke 30 Sidewinder SF IR 6-24x56) We set up our targets at approx 100 yards, although we can take them back further out to almost 300 yards. It was hot up there, with the temperatures in the low 20c.

We had an enjoyable few hours, and Ade used his 22-250, .22LR and .17HMR. I used my .243 and my .204 Ruger. Apart from me wanting to set the zero on my scope, we both wanted to check our homeloads, as we had reloaded a few test rounds using different powder and bullet weight. Ade wanted to try Ramshot for his 22-250 and I wanted to try 55gr bullets in my .243, as I've been using 100gr.

All okay and we were both happy with the results. Photo's show Ade's Sako 75 (22-250) with Pulsar N335 fitted and my Howa 1500 heavy barrel (.204) with the Hawke scope fitted. We both use MTM High-Low shooting benches which are excellent.

BYRONS 3.jpg

BYRONS 2.jpg

BYRONS 1.jpg

1 hour ago, bumpy22 said:

Great few hours by the looks of it. Benches look great Steve. I have same mtm rest. All of my mates that reload all use ramshot as well now. 

I'm using H4895 for my .204. It's now been banned, but I have a full tub and one coming soon. For my .243, I'm using Vit150. I've heard good reports about Ramshot.

10 minutes ago, WelshMike said:

Looks like a fun day and some nice kit Steve :good:

Cheers Mike. Yes, we had a good few hours up there. Nice to 'complain' about the sun/heat for a change. I'm changing the scope mounts on my .204, so will need to re-adjust it when up next. I also want to set the target out around 150 yards. :good:

8 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Cheers Mike. Yes, we had a good few hours up there. Nice to 'complain' about the sun/heat for a change. I'm changing the scope mounts on my .204, so will need to re-adjust it when up next. I also want to set the target out around 150 yards. :good:

I fancy getting a .204 myself but given the ongoing house renovation and lack of shooting it may be a few years yet :lol:

1 hour ago, WelshMike said:

I fancy getting a .204 myself but given the ongoing house renovation and lack of shooting it may be a few years yet :lol:

I intended getting a .17 Rem, but nothing suitable, or too expensive. Ended up getting the .204 on a Howa 1500 heavy barrel. Excellent bit of kit. My next 'toy' will be a 7.62/308 for target shooting. It won't be for awhile yet, I'm going to wait until the shooting range is up and running at Sengenhydd.

5 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I intended getting a .17 Rem, but nothing suitable, or too expensive. Ended up getting the .204 on a Howa 1500 heavy barrel. Excellent bit of kit. My next 'toy' will be a 7.62/308 for target shooting. It won't be for awhile yet, I'm going to wait until the shooting range is up and running at Sengenhydd.

:good:If I get a lottery win I ll be after a Brock and Norris Rattal (.308) stunning rifle but a bit out of the price range . To be fair the 4 rifles in the cabinet dont see the light of day that often. Not even sure the shotguns work anymore lol . I am hoping to have a trip to devon later in the year and my mate has a new 6.5/.284 and a lot of deer have ended up in the food chain as a result already.