moss control

davewh100

Cheap bleach and water will kill it. 

You won't stop it coming back unless you can change the conditions it's growing in.

My slate roof is getting some lichen growth on the shady north facing ridge and a couple of foot below the ridge. I use Wet and Forget sprayed on and leave. Kills it and stops it for a season or so.

Edited by figgy

10 hours ago, Capt Christopher Jones said:

Or move the house to East Suffolk, where is dosnt  rain much🤣

yeah that a problem  it rains plenty in hebden bridge in west Yorkshire, back part of the roof is covered by trees which doesn't help there was that much moss on the right side of the roof could of used a mower :lol:

I asked an old roofer and he said the copper strips was just an old wives tale and doesn't work. . . . I've been told washing machine powder works and believe the bleach mentioned above may work too but have a similar problem. . . I tried Algon path cleaner and it hasn't worked so hopefully this thread may get to the bottom of it. . . . maybe there are different varieties of moss which re-act differently and this is why some ideas work for some and not others?

Product effectiveness is also governed by how and when you apply it. 

Most will require a cloudy no rain day to work.  Gives the product the most working time without dilution or drying out too soon.

As most products are cheap, try untill you find a solution that works for you on your roof.

6 hours ago, figgy said:

Product effectiveness is also governed by how and when you apply it. 

Most will require a cloudy no rain day to work.  Gives the product the most working time without dilution or drying out too soon.

As most products are cheap, try untill you find a solution that works for you on your roof.

As mentioned, I've tried many different products, and Pro -Kleen did the job the best.