Solid recoil pad

nicknsd1978

I have just bought a 1930 side by side. Not shot it yet but it Feels to fit better than my o/u when mounting at home. Only problem is that it has a solid wooden recoil pad fitted. Although this has some grooves carved into it to give grip, it still slips in the shoulder. I have just ordered some 1.5mm adhesive backed rubber neoprene which I shall be cutting into shape and sticking on to give a bit of grip so hopefully it won’t slip

Can I suggest that maybe you look as to 'why' the gun is slipping in your shoulder  ?     I have shot side by side guns for over 55 years and have never had one slip in my shoulder yet. Having said that,  the length of pull has always been correct. It may be that the stock is too short (older guns often were) or,  if it has a straight hand stock that you are not used to, that can  cause problems too. My latest game gun is a 20 bore Browning O/U and that has a 'plastic' heel plate, I do not find that gun slips either. Before you spend money on a 'recoil' pad, have the fit of the gun looked at and also stick with lighter load cartridges which should help stop the gun 'jumping' in your shoulder on firing. I would much prefer a gun that is designed to be shot 'gun down' without a rubber pad that is likely to catch and snag on my clothing, thus preventing correct gun mounting.  Take into account the position of your front hand too, it does NOT have to be holding the wood, hence the leather covered hand protector that fits to the barrels. Your front hand too far back, (holding the wood forend) can have the effect of shortening the stock.

10 hours ago, Westley said:

Can I suggest that maybe you look as to 'why' the gun is slipping in your shoulder  ?     I have shot side by side guns for over 55 years and have never had one slip in my shoulder yet. Having said that,  the length of pull has always been correct. It may be that the stock is too short (older guns often were) or,  if it has a straight hand stock that you are not used to, that can  cause problems too. My latest game gun is a 20 bore Browning O/U and that has a 'plastic' heel plate, I do not find that gun slips either. Before you spend money on a 'recoil' pad, have the fit of the gun looked at and also stick with lighter load cartridges which should help stop the gun 'jumping' in your shoulder on firing. I would much prefer a gun that is designed to be shot 'gun down' without a rubber pad that is likely to catch and snag on my clothing, thus preventing correct gun mounting.  Take into account the position of your front hand too, it does NOT have to be holding the wood, hence the leather covered hand protector that fits to the barrels. Your front hand too far back, (holding the wood forend) can have the effect of shortening the stock.

Exactly this. ^^

I personally loathe 'rubber' pads that grip/stick, because they stick/slip differently on different coat materials.  Particularly when wearing a thick coat in winter, anything that is inclined to 'stick' on the material becomes a nuisance.  A properly fitting gun won't slip.

Suggest you talk to a gun fitter .There may be problem with the shape of the heel , your mounting style or stock length . These thing are very easy to comment on but without actually seeing you with the gun it is impossible to make realistic suggestions .

Suggest you talk to a gun fitter .There may be problem with the shape of the heel , your mounting style or stock length . These thing are very easy to comment on but without actually seeing you with the gun it is impossible to make realistic suggestions .

The cost of the gun is irrelevant . If you can not  use it it will have been a waste of money no matter what it cost .

If you have not used a side by side before then you may well find that using it will take some adjusting to and may require you to alter you shooting style .It is a fact that people will fit/adapt themselves to a particular  gun  , however that "fit" will not suit another gun , hence my suggestion a visit to a gun fitter as you yourself may not be able to see the real problem .

As a retired gun fitter myself I have seen many problems over come with simple alterations to both the gun and /or the owners handling of it .