River Thames lure fishing on the yak

chrisjpainter

With the season FINALLY open, I've been able to get the lures again on the river. The Thames has been a bit cloudy in the last few days, due to all the rain, but it was still worth a bash. Yesterday was absolutely stunning on the river. 

views.JPG.8396279f734aacf64220b35b50764fdd.JPG

However the bright conditions made fishing really tricky. I managed to pull out a few fish, although no monsters. In truth I was happy with the few that I got, as it was so bright and warm.

fishy1.JPG.76e12963f68a1f8f56e2b3deb625741d.JPG

Fishy2.JPG.0762744c96e3631deb46d42d5899086f.JPG

Fishy3.JPG.fea37e366d3361ad4a47200007ce2883.JPG

Today though, things had clouded over, so I sneaked out for a session in the evening. It was still very hot, muggy even, but it was worth it! Another fiery little pike, then this belter of a chub, around the 6lb mark!

fishy4.JPG.f3145a515be43e54342f4a1a90a23e56.JPG

Only downside? My knees have suffered from the sun yesterday! But it's great to see the Thames producing some monster chub again. Bring on the next trip...

knees.JPG.10deeb771c118d98fff0384b44217b16.JPG

Edited by chrisjpainter

Lovely pictures and a nice write up. Have you ever caught a Thames Salmon, Sea Trout or Brown Trout whilst lure fishing? My brother claims the odd good game fish turns up to lure anglers (he lives in London)

Tight Lines

Aled

Edited by Aled

5 minutes ago, Aled said:

Lovely pictures and a nice write up. Have you ever caught a Thames Salmon, Sea Trout or Brown Trout whilst lure fishing? My brother claims the odd good game fish turns up to lure anglers (he lives in London)

Tight Lines

Aled

Not lure fishing, no - but a long time ago I did get a salmon bait fishing for bream! That was a surprise. You hear rumours of them for sure, and I think as the water quality improves, they'll become more persistent, but I can't imagine it'll ever be famed for its game fish. 

1 hour ago, henry d said:

Nice chub and even better radiation burns! What is it you are hanging your spare lures on, something home made or off the shelf, that could be handy at sea too?

It is indeed a homemade contraption. Railblaza make a similar thing, but I didn't want to pay £60 for it, and I wanted a lure hanging method, not just the Railblaza ports. It's made out of an old roof rack cut up, then bolted to the Railblaza ports and base. Then I added some pad eyes to hang lures from...

image.png.9f835901c45d19d4a233842d2cdd2618.png

5 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Not lure fishing, no - but a long time ago I did get a salmon bait fishing for bream! That was a surprise. You hear rumours of them for sure, and I think as the water quality improves, they'll become more persistent, but I can't imagine it'll ever be famed for its game fish. 

Thanks for the reply Chris, there were salmon caught quite regularly (every year anyway) at one time, as there was always a few fish on the yearly Environment Agency catch returns.

Tight Lines

Aled

31 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

we have some spare roof bars that are destined for the scrap. Let me know if I can cut you off a couple of sections and send them in the post :)

I've seen your shed, you definitely have not seen mine, but thanks for thinking of me.