River Thames lure fishing on the yak

chrisjpainter

On 24/06/2019 at 10:04, chrisjpainter said:

Not lure fishing, no - but a long time ago I did get a salmon bait fishing for bream! That was a surprise. You hear rumours of them for sure, and I think as the water quality improves, they'll become more persistent, but I can't imagine it'll ever be famed for its game fish. 

hello, i have seen salmon trying to jump the weir and sea trout have been caught in the upper Thames

32 minutes ago, Aled said:

Thanks for the reply oldypigeon, that's interesting, i'll pass the info on to my brother, my nephew his quite keen on the outdoor life, and enjoy hearing that.

Cheers

Aled

hello, i spent many  years trying to catch a big brown Thames trout, with a weir permit as you can fish from April 1st alas i never did but they are there, if your relatives are around Buscot way go and chat to the lock keeper, theres a photo of one in the hut by the lock, if i can remember 8 llb ish, caught on a maggot out of season,   

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

28 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, no problem Aled, i have fished all the weirs from Letchlade to Wallingford, the weir permit is very good value and now  Abingdon is on the list,  cheers 

wasn't there a pub at Lechlade  called the Trout ? remember fishing below the bridge many yrs ago and catching good chub & eels 

Edited by derbyduck

2 hours ago, derbyduck said:

wasn't there a pub at Lechlade  called the Trout ? remember fishing below the bridge many yrs ago and catching good chub & eels 

hello, yes it is, just had a full refurbishment and a  nice pub to enjoy some food and a beer in the garden with music at weekends, still fishing permits available, although best in winter, further down stream another pub called the Trout between Faringdon and Clanfield  A4095, i am sure they still have a cased brown trout out on show, 

9 hours ago, Penelope said:

I'd guess 8lb plus is more than possible

Definitely. There has been talk of The Thames breaking the British record, because there are a lot of fish from a lot of different stretches in the 7lb+ bracket. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the 9lb5oz mark was broken. only time will tell!

49 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, yes it is, just had a full refurbishment and a  nice pub to enjoy some food and a beer in the garden with music at weekends, still fishing permits available, although best in winter, further down stream another pub called the Trout between Faringdon and Clanfield  A4095, i am sure they still have a cased brown trout out on show, 

hello, just of note, this is the best time for Eel fishing, hot and thundery, 2 seasons ago a very big Eel was caught in Sutton Courtney weir pools estimated around 8llb 

40 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

interesting, who controls the fishing (from a yak) in that weir?

hello, Sutton Courtney angling club, if you go on google maps the first pool is private but we all fish there, next pool and weir pool is controlled by the Sutton club,  the Eel was caught from the sandy bank into the second pool, the chap was fishing for chub !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!