RFD gun transfer process

Scotty carptart

Could someone please explain to me the process of getting a gun sent from Whales to me in east anglia.

do I send the money to the seller before they transfer the gun to there local RFD ?

Do they pay there fee there end and what is a normal fee ?

only ever bought guns face to face to so no experience in this what so ever , many thanks 

You send money and your licence to the seller, they enter the gun on your licence and send it back. They then send the gun to your rfd, you go and pick it up and pay your rdf for thier bit and take the gun away, you then inform your linencing department.

23 minutes ago, Capt Christopher Jones said:

Last week i paid the private vendor, he took the gun to his RFD who sent it parcel farce 196 ( should have been PF 48 but they cocked up). I collected from my RFD today & they did the transfer to me & sent email to Cambs Police confirming 

Also done this several times. 

I pay the seller. Seller takes gun to their RFD, they send it to my RFD, I turn up with my licence, my RFD signs it onto my licence and I pay them £25 for doing the transfer. 

I’ve only ever bought this way from businesses though not a private sale. 

Apparently though, the first one, send off your licence to the seller is the way some as insisting it should be done! 

56 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Also done this several times. 

I pay the seller. Seller takes gun to their RFD, they send it to my RFD, I turn up with my licence, my RFD signs it onto my licence and I pay them £25 for doing the transfer. 

I’ve only ever bought this way from businesses though not a private sale. 

Apparently though, the first one, send off your licence to the seller is the way some as insisting it should be done! 

Thats what i have done, why would you sent your Cert to an unknown person

Search this topic on here, it's been dine to death.

There is only one correct way.

The seller must enter the gun onto your certificate. No ifs buts or maybe's. 

When it's paid for is between buyer and seller.

Once the gun' s details are on your certificate you take your certificate to you chosen RFD who will have recieved the gun from the seller's RFD. He does not enter it onto your certificate because he is not the seller. 

If the law is circumvented by the receiving RFD entering the gun onto your certificate he becomes the seller and pays tax on the sale amount and is legally responsible for a warranty.

Edd

4 hours ago, Capt Christopher Jones said:

Thats what i have done, why would you sent your Cert to an unknown person

Simply because that is exactly the procedure written on your certificate which you are obliged to follow.

But then I suppose it's too much to ask people to actually read their certificates.

9 hours ago, CharlieT said:

Simply because that is exactly the procedure written on your certificate which you are obliged to follow.

But then I suppose it's too much to ask people to actually read their certificates.

You say that Charlie yet RFD’s have been doing it the other way for a long time without issue. 

Lots of different people read the legislation and interpret it differently every time. 

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

You say that Charlie yet RFD’s have been doing it the other way for a long time without issue. 

Lots of different people read the legislation and interpret it differently every time. 

I agree and the incorrect way was easier but I took the view that ignorance is no defence and as Charlie points out it is quite clear on the certificate and once you have signed it you are are agreeing to it

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

Whilst I appreciate doing the incorrect way has gone on for years, I myself have done so, it doesn't alter the fact that it's not the proscribed way. 

The wording on certificates is quite clear and unambiguous , it's there in plain English and cannot be misinterpreted.

1 hour ago, CharlieT said:

Whilst I appreciate doing the incorrect way has gone on for years, I myself have done so, it doesn't alter the fact that it's not the proscribed way. 

The wording on certificates is quite clear and unambiguous , it's there in plain English and cannot be misinterpreted.

Was the wording always the same Charlie? Apologies I couldn’t remember. 

There is the legal way to do it without doubt, however the legal process is inherently unsafe and I believe that the police and chief constables are fully aware of this and so take the pragmatic view that the safest transfer is when the gun is fully tracked and that the recipient is confirmed by an RFD, who they inherently trust, who then also enters the gun on to the recipients licence.

Suppose I am not a licence holder, I am not honest at all but I have some knowledge and am believable and I have managed to get hold of some good pictures of a gun. I then advertise it on a social media site and someone wants to buy it - because it is a bargain, I am having to sell it because my kid has some nasty etc etc. There is almost a 100% chance, due to the way we always tend to trust other licence holders,  I will be believed if I suggest that the buyer sends me his/her licence and transfers the money to my bank account saying that I will then RFD to RFD the gun to them. Licence goes off, money gets transferred - buyer disappears, has money and also has licence. Now police have a bit of a 'mare to sort out but the licence holder has done nothing wrong in the eyes of the law.

The original amendment was in Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997:

Then subsequently The Firearms Rules 1998 

So it’s been worded like that since 1998. 

In regards to the police turning a blind eye many probably did however after several audits and check up on procedures that is not the case in many areas now with RFD’s being threatened with revocation. 

56 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Was the wording always the same Charlie? Apologies I couldn’t remember. 

I see that Timps has answered, quoting the relevant details.

Looking at my old certificates the current wording first appeared on my certificate following a renewal after 1998.

21 hours ago, Capt Christopher Jones said:

Last week i paid the private vendor, he took the gun to his RFD who sent it parcel farce 196 ( should have been PF 48 but they cocked up). I collected from my RFD today & they did the transfer to me & sent email to Cambs Police confirming 

You should if I understand also notify the police your end within 7 days?

23 hours ago, scarecrow243 said:

you also have to inform them you have the gun  not just the rfd

No I believe lots of RFD’s will now inform the Police of the transfer on their end, and also print out, help fill in and send off the form that the receiver sends, as part of their service 👍🏻.

20 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

No I believe lots of RFD’s will now inform the Police of the transfer on their end, and also print out, help fill in and send off the form that the receiver sends, as part of their service 👍🏻.

I have had an RFD print out the relevant document for me to send to licensing, but have never had one email licensing on my behalf, as was stated. 

51 minutes ago, Scully said:

I have had an RFD print out the relevant document for me to send to licensing, but have never had one email licensing on my behalf, as was stated. 

Same here, even had one put it in an envelope after I signed it to take to post office to send, I wouldn't want someone doing it on my behalf in case they forgot!