GL pigeon numbers

ditchman

To tell you the truth , I think the short time that stopped most of the keen pigeon shooters from doing what they do best, it haven't really made a scrap of difference , it came in force when we normally go through a quite period and the two weeks or so until the first G L came out just made the few pigeons we were keeping a eye on a little bit more less jumpy than they would have been , number wise , I can't see it making a lot of difference .

I agree with Marshman that it probably has made no difference as it was a quiet period anyway, apart from anyone having peas to shoot over. Peas in this area however, have been a bit disappointing with not the large numbers attacking the crop and shooting very sporadic. All peas are now well in flower but still not attracting great numbers. At one time peas would be a good crop providing reasonable shooting from drilling to harvest, but not so of late. 

Very little barley is grown hereabouts, so now great areas laid, but larger numbers are now appearing on the non-hairy wheat, both in the tramlines and landing on top with outstretched wings on this shorter stemmed wheat. Triticale is now being grown quite a bit as a fodder crop, so may well provide stubble shooting before the main harvesting gets underway.

OB

I dont think its made much difference.

A pal and  I have been out 5 times now on a large field of soya with very mixed results since the first Pigeon licence was issued. They seem to have vacated it during the day, but return to top themselves up from about 4-30 pm onward. Not huge numbers, but enough for us to keep turning out.

Stopped taking the magnet after our second trip, as it seemed to spook them when they were just out of range. Put 2 hypa flaps out, one on a bouncer and one on 1 ft high post made from a converted bivvy stick, and this seemed to do the business.

Edited by JJsDad
Additional para.