Which rotary battery

I recently bit the bullet and bought a rotary pigeon magnet, I have 2 types of batteries and was wondering which would be the best to use.

I have both a normal lead acid battery and a lithium ion battery that I use when lamping, which one would be the best for a days decoying?

8 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i use a car battery off my dihatsu when i bought a new one, just keep it topped up, lasts enough for a days shooting

OK if you can drive to your hide position but I wouldn't want to lug that very far.

I too, like Denny, use a 12AH battery mostly with real birds which proves more than adequate for my hours in the field.

Edited by Old Boggy

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, of course you would not want to do that OB, a high amp lithium is much more practical if you have to carry  your shooting gear to a particular place in the fields,  

A couple of years ago, I met a young newcomer to our wonderful crop protection world struggling back across heavy ploughing loaded down with a full size car battery, heavy duty rotary, hide, nets, seat, flapper, floaters, gun, cartridges etc (I didn't spot the kitchen sink though). He didn't shoot anything but maintained it was cheaper than going to the gym !

Perhaps we would all have done that in our younger and less experienced days, had all the latest gizmos and a bank balance to suit, been available. Ageing limbs tell us not to take too much and perhaps shorten our outings somewhat.

OB

43 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I use the small battery my wife uses for her golf trolley. Loads of power and lasts me a full sesion and more.  The smaller golf trolley batteries are also light enough to carry about.

One of my batteries started life on a golf buggy , had it for a few years now and it have never ran out on the day , having said that my days now are down to 3 / 4 hours and I normally charge it up every other day , the downside is it is fairly heavy to carry a longish distance, but for a younger and fitter shooter I don't think the weight would be to much a problem , one of the best fivers I have spent .:good:

Edited by marsh man

I use these;

np12-12-yuasa-12v-12ah-lead-acid-battery-np12-12s-302-p.jpg

If you contact a local Alarm company they usually have loads of these that have sat being charged in Emergency Lighting Units and have to be replaced every couple of years. You can usually have them for very little cash.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Additional information.

14 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

A couple of years ago, I met a young newcomer to our wonderful crop protection world struggling back across heavy ploughing loaded down with a full size car battery, heavy duty rotary, hide, nets, seat, flapper, floaters, gun, cartridges etc (I didn't spot the kitchen sink though). He didn't shoot anything but maintained it was cheaper than going to the gym !

Perhaps we would all have done that in our younger and less experienced days, had all the latest gizmos and a bank balance to suit, been available. Ageing limbs tell us not to take too much and perhaps shorten our outings somewhat.

OB

hello, hardly use it now, finding some bouncing poles better and easier to carry, 

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

One of my batteries started life on a golf buggy , had it for a few years now and it have never ran out on the day , having said that my days now are down to 3 / 4 hours and I normally charge it up every other day , the downside is it is fairly heavy to carry a longish distance, but for a younger and fitter shooter I don't think the weight would be to much a problem , one of the best fivers I have spent .:good:

Yes, the full size buggy batteries are heavy . This one is half the size about 2 1/2 inch deep  7 inch square and comes with a carrying case.  They are of course designed to haul a fully laden golf trolley round 18 holes or even more if a 36 hole match, so running a whirly is chicken feed.