Knife making

Miroku_Dave

9 minutes ago, ditchman said:

what steel are you using ?..............

I use 1075 or 8670 from Ground Flat Stock in Bedale mate. 8670 is my favourite, it’s a ****** to hand sand after heat treat but it’s rock hard and keeps a wicked edge. 

This is my current work in progress..

9C073645-DFBC-4EAE-BE47-7A85D55A2E29.jpeg

i have a 8" grinder.........but i use smaller diameter mops..............it just goes to show you dont need hundreds of pounds of equipment to turn out really useful blades...........do you temper to colour or do you have a thermo couple......

13 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i have a 8" grinder.........but i use smaller diameter mops..............it just goes to show you dont need hundreds of pounds of equipment to turn out really useful blades...........do you temper to colour or do you have a thermo couple......

True! I made a few nice ones with a hand file and a guide I made out of parts of an old wardrobe! 

I temper to colour, GFS have some good info on their website about heat treating and tempering. 8670 is easy to do with a map gas torch and some forge bricks 👍

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

They look great Dave, do you undertake commissions?

I don’t I’m afraid mate. I did but then I ended up feeling pressured to churn stuff out. I like to just make what I want to make and then offer them up to people. 

I raffle a few off on my Facebook group, I’m not sure if I’m allowed to name it on here? 

3 minutes ago, Miroku_Dave said:

I don’t I’m afraid mate. I did but then I ended up feeling pressured to churn stuff out. I like to just make what I want to make and then offer them up to people. 

I raffle a few off on my Facebook group, I’m not sure if I’m allowed to name it on here? 

I completely understand, do please keep up the great work and post some shots of either work in progress or finished gems.:good:

2 hours ago, Miroku_Dave said:

Cheers Gents, I’m loving it at the minute. It’s my therapy!! 

exactly...:good:............i like the one with a full scandi cut and the wooden handle....also they dont look like "weapons"....they all look like what they are a nice looking practicle tool for cutting................keep posting them up ............

58 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I see these knife making threads and think they are truly excellent. I did wonder about having a go, but deep down, I believe I will never be that good. I don't think I have the patience to do that standard of workmanship.

You can buy a blade or a kit to start with

https://www.heinnie.com/enzo-necker-70-scandi

I wouldn't go too cheap purely because you want something worthwhile at the end.

2 hours ago, Dibble said:

You can buy a blade or a kit to start with

https://www.heinnie.com/enzo-necker-70-scandi

I wouldn't go too cheap purely because you want something worthwhile at the end.

Afternoon all, long time lurker here admiring all that is produced on this forum. I would be really interested in giving this a go, starting off small and slow. I actually have a fair bit of blackthorn I cut a few years back on the farm and was looking for a project to use it up. I noticed on the Heinnie site you can buy kits (blade, wood blank, bolts for attaching two together). As I already have the wood blanks, all I would be interested in would be the blade and the bolt/screws (what are these called?!). Does anyone know where I could get a pile of these bolt/screws that would fit in the heinnie knife blanks??

20 minutes ago, Croohur said:

Afternoon all, long time lurker here admiring all that is produced on this forum. I would be really interested in giving this a go, starting off small and slow. I actually have a fair bit of blackthorn I cut a few years back on the farm and was looking for a project to use it up. I noticed on the Heinnie site you can buy kits (blade, wood blank, bolts for attaching two together). As I already have the wood blanks, all I would be interested in would be the blade and the bolt/screws (what are these called?!). Does anyone know where I could get a pile of these bolt/screws that would fit in the heinnie knife blanks??

Hi mate, there’s a company called Ground Flat Stock Knife supplies in Bedale, North Yorkshire. They have all sorts of bolts, screws, pins etc. I’ve been using carbon fibre pins for a while that I really like however in the past I’ve used steel for the in-trays at work, a redundant screwdriver, a brass drift, all sorts really. You can drill the blanks fairly easily (as long as you keep the drill speed low!) 

you’ll need some epoxy as well, GFS stock it but I’ve seen guys use gorilla glue epoxy or any other two part mixture would work. 

Im a master of saving money so I’ll use all sorts 🤣

This is one I made with a blank from Heinnie Haynes. The blanks aren’t perfect and seeing the price of proper Damascus I don’t know how quality their steel is but it looks pretty enough and it’s scary sharp! 

21E9806C-A9E2-45AE-B1AB-5C95A33A7425.jpeg