Is it time for my fox terrier

Archie-fox

Hi all

ive got a almost 15 year old fox terrier called Archie ( some on here have met him) I think we’re coming to the end to be honest, he doesn’t really want to go for walks anymore, he’s deaf as a post, his eyes have clouded over and all he does is sleep all day, he eats well enough and doesn’t mess in the house but I feel inside that he’s just not happy anymore, he’s on his own little chair 99% of the day then goes for a 10 min walk does his business then just shakes himself to sleep again, he does a lot of moaning and groaning, the last thing I want is to see him gone but don’t want to keep him going on and on, he just looks so sad at times... he’s been a great shooting dog and has had a great life.. any thoughts?? 

It's never nice when the time comes, the fact your asking the question and his age probably means it is time, it's certainly not nice taking them on that last journey that's for sure.

If it is time something that might make it easier, go in to the vets a few days before and pay for everything, I was in bits when i took my old boy, one thing that was nicer was the vet did everything in the boot of the estate, he didn't have to go into the vets, he sat up but didn't really know what was going on, quick injection and just lay back down, he was a big lad and it seemed nicer than carrying him back out to take the crem, I was just able to sit out there with him for a while, blubbering now!

never easy, but you have to do what's right for your dog.

you will know when it is time and the dog will trust you to do the right thing..........

putting it bluntly   how would you feel and how would the dog feel if you let it go on too late ...it would have a partial stroke..it might be in pain....

better to be a little early than too late..........as said take it to the vet...and tell the vet you think it is time and they will confirm after checking the animal out.........

its never easy...its a responsibility we must carry out..........