Tragic Accident

Okrang

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor bloke. 

I was sat in a 4x4 in the past and both guns pointing at me. Both had bolts pulled but it was so uncomfortable looking down the barrels. 

Never went again.

in one trip I learnt so much. Everything they did made me do the opposite. On one instance he shot through his radio with the hmr.  Strange but we became good friends until he passed last year in his 50’s.

i feel sorry for the guys family tho in this case

I just can't understand the logic of any of his actions 

This is the kind of stuff you'd read about in American news not here. Just gos to show their are tools everywhere, even here. Hope only he gets time, as far as I'm concerned, nobody else is at fault, because of if that's his gun, his 4x4, his decision to pick up people, his mix with drunks, that gun should not of been there. ****. 

Nobody comes out unharmed by that story  

Drinking in a pub with a shotgun in the car outside (loaded or not?) come on,  that's not how you should behave

I  did not even stop for a pee by going  in a motorway service station when transporting my guns to Wales if it meant leaving the car unattended. Plastic bottle and out the window somewhere discrete at the top end  of the car park out of the way.

Fortunately it never got to big jobs but the same would apply. No way am I ever going to lose sight of those guns for one minute.

Edited by Vince Green

I'm sure that will be helpful for all the families and loved ones involved, your a wonderful human being.

I wasn't trying to be helpful. A young man has lost his life because of stupidity of the highest order and you take a cheap shot. Compared to you, I really am a wonderful human being.

"Ben Fitzsimons was sitting in the front passenger seat at the time the shotgun went off, but denied having touched the weapon or firing it."

Sorry, this sounds a bit thin to me. Why would a stationary gun in a parked vehicle suddenly discharge itself? Or were the two lads inside horsing around? In any event, from the verdicts it seems that if you own a gun you will be held liable for any harm it might cause so never, never, leave your gun unattended, even in the company of people you imagine to be competent around firearms. Of course the whole situation was criminally reckless, but IMHO the oldest guy and the gun owner is (perhaps correctly) being disproportionately singled out.

It’s all a bit too weird. 

If the gun was unloaded as is alleged by the owner (who  was out of the vehicle going for a pee when the gun discharged) then someone in the car interfered with the weapon.

Indeed, it’s very unlikely the gun (loaded or otherwise) just went off by itself. When chummy in the front was asked did you touch or otherwise interfere with the gun causing it to go off, he said he couldn’t recall. There’s a thousand miles between ‘I can’t recall’ and ‘no I didnt’.

An avoidable tragedy.  

3 minutes ago, henry d said:

Which is why I said what I did, believe me I hesitated before writing and before sending.

Err. Righto. 

Context. 

11 hours ago, Gordon R said:

No sympathy for them at all. Idiots who deserve what is coming.

Clearly referring to the negligent person's who have caused the man's death, directly or indirectly, NOT the young victim, who clearly isn't going to 'deserve what is coming' 

9 hours ago, henry d said:

I'm sure that will be helpful for all the families and loved ones involved, your a wonderful human being.

So who are we referring to? 

The victims family, who clearly Gordon was NOT referring to, or the perps families? 

Is everyone a victim here, including the perps? 

I think not. 

41 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

I thought the same i am sure if any of his family are on here would like to see that remark

Clearly referring to the victims family who was not the point of Gordon's post. 

12 hours ago, Gordon R said:

No sympathy for them at all. Idiots who deserve what is coming.

hello, i agree Gordon, the owner of the  shotgun has clearly shown gross negligence leaving a loaded semi auto in a dangerous position in a vehicle while out drinking, resulting in the tragic death of this young man with the shotgun discharge, had the very basic safety rules been applied here this would never of happened, IF YOU GOING OUT DRINKING LEAVE YOU GUNS AT HOME LOCKED IN THE CABINETS 

5 hours ago, Mungler said:

It’s all a bit too weird. 

If the gun was unloaded as is alleged by the owner (who  was out of the vehicle going for a pee when the gun discharged) then someone in the car interfered with the weapon.

Indeed, it’s very unlikely the gun (loaded or otherwise) just went off by itself. When chummy in the front was asked did you touch or otherwise interfere with the gun causing it to go off, he said he couldn’t recall. There’s a thousand miles between ‘I can’t recall’ and ‘no I didnt’.

An avoidable tragedy.  

I agree with this ^^^^^^^

The gun was allegedly unloaded but accessible.

The allegedly unloaded gun was disharged but we don't know how.

There are vague recollections of how/why the gun was discharged. The real reasons will probably never be known.

The gun owner must take full responsibility for the gun/ammunition being available but the other people present have (in my opinion) contributed in some way. That will never be proven.

All very sad but totally avoidable.