Shot pistols

Tford

Just now, Scully said:

I'm not saying they aren't used, but I have lived rurally my entire life and have yet to see a vet use a handgun, even for horses during Fair week.....of which there have been quite a few ( Including one pitifully unforgettable occasion on the main road less than 20 yds from the vets house ) over the years. They have always, without exception, used a captive bolt. 

They even had a range day at the club i shoot at were vets had training on using pistols for humane dispatch.  What they use would obviously depend on the circumstances safety being the main concern.  I would think  a pistol would be easier to carry for humane dispatch than a shotgun. 

HD pistols are drilled out and the barrels ported so you have to near enough place the barrel onto the animals head. If you are that close a knife is more than adequate.

Different here a vet i shoot with at the club uses a revolver, that can shoot either .357 magnum .38 specials or 9MM Luger. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, Scully said:

I'm not saying they aren't used, but I have lived rurally my entire life and have yet to see a vet use a handgun, even for horses during Fair week.....of which there have been quite a few ( Including one pitifully unforgettable occasion on the main road less than 20 yds from the vets house ) over the years. They have always, without exception, used a captive bolt. 

Captive bolts have their uses and their limitations for humane dispatch, shouldn't really be used on pigs and not much good if the animal can't be properly restrained,  plus if wouldn't be to great to have to put down a ****** off bull with a captive bolt. Most if not all vets around here call a knacker man and most knacker men will have the tools available to deal with just about any thing.

A shot pistol would be useful if you were doing a lot of pigs or as in the OPs case for animals in traps. A shotgun or rifle is not the best tool if you turn up to put some ones beloved gg down a pistol is much better. I would say 90% of the farm live stock and 40% of horses put down around here are shot with a pistol.

Back to the OP I can not see the need for any sort of pistol for stalking and least of all a shot pistol, I don't do a lot of stalking but I have never felt the need to take a pistol with me. 

Edited by bluesj
Added a missing not and never

A few years ago my farmer friend ask me to come over to the farm to help to put down a bull that had stepped in a drain and broke its leg . When I arrived a vet was there and he had a captive bolt and a .32 revolver. The bull was still on his feet and was in obvious pain ,bellowing and shaking his head . The vet was reluctant to get close to the bull to use the captive bolt or the pistol. I told the vet I could despatch it with my .270 rifle . It was the hardest shot I had ever taken as I had the vet and my friend looking over my shoulder . I got down prone at about 50 yards from the bull and shot him at the base of his neck ,he dropped like a stone and I knew he was dead .but I shot him again in the neck to be sure .  Couldn’t believe when the vet walked and shot him in the head with the revolver ,proberbly to justify his fee .

harnser

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 18:02, Scully said:

As much of a handgun nut as I am I am always sceptical about the need for one for humane despatch of any animal.

Six inch barrelled handguns aren’t ‘unwieldy’ in my experience, especially in a cross draw belt holster, ( or indeed a shoulder rig ) whether inside or outside a jacket, and granted, I wasn’t there, but to be able to get close enough to a deer to cut its throat but not to be able to take a safe shot with a CF rifle ( whereas a .410 would have been safe ? ) is just confusing. 

Did I miss something as well, didn't quite follow that either, certainly confused me!

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 07:44, Old farrier said:

We have a crazy license system varies from county to county and if that’s what they say you can have you more or less have to go with it 

probably to do with overall length 

although I know of a pest control officer that had a derringer type.      He says it’s very limited and virtually useless 

Hands up, not read all this, and I may have missed something, but this is mine and certainly short as you can see, its very effective to, but definitely not designed for long distance shooting!

:good:

169.jpg.5fed4640f3b4de8ab2dab6e32952bb62.jpg

2 hours ago, Dekers said:

Hands up, not read all this, and I may have missed something, but this is mine and certainly short as you can see, its very effective to, but definitely not designed for long distance shooting!

:good:

169.jpg.5fed4640f3b4de8ab2dab6e32952bb62.jpg

Very nice.....I may be wrong but I get the impression this is what the OP wants; something he can conceal. 

6 hours ago, Scully said:

Very nice.....I may be wrong but I get the impression this is what the OP wants; something he can conceal. 

Not conceal necessarily. Just small enough to be discrete and to fit in a cartridge pocket. However remember that a 2.5 inch .410 chambered revolver is a lot bulkier than the equivalent .38 special. It’s a lump of a pistol regardless. But that is just my preference. 

I’m amazed how a topic goes off at tangents especially as my main point was never really meant to relate to stalking needs. 

As I mentioned I’d never carry it for stalking although I could. I agree a dispatch pistol is pretty much pointless except in the 0.1% of situations. However as I say I’d never criticise those who do feel the need, much as I’d never critique shooting disciplines I see as unnecessary - surely we are doing ourselves a disservice by attacking fellow legitimate firearm users?!?

A shot pistol is exceptionally useless expect for almost point blank dispatch. As a qualified pest controller (amongst other qualifications) I know it’s limits and use it only where it suits my needs - which admittedly is few and far between. I didn’t want an argument about its use, but to understand who else uses one and for what purpose. It was a simple question really.

this is the tool in question....

54DCA806-DE5D-473A-B1E9-FE4098D16500.jpeg

Edited by Tford

1 hour ago, Tford said:

Not conceal necessarily. Just small enough to be discrete and to fit in a cartridge pocket. However remember that a 2.5 inch .410 chambered revolver is a lot bulkier than the equivalent .38 special. It’s a lump of a pistol regardless. But that is just my preference. 

I often need to keep the pistol out of sight, people are commonly around and any sign of a gun gets them worried.  I use the swivel shoulder holster or belt holster, the gun is small but still has some weight. I wouldn't want to carry it around in anything but a secure holster!

051.jpg.07a6799981dabc941259cfde73366157.jpg052.jpg.a0678846e9942eaafd47a9df45327ded.jpg