.223 scope to 600 yards?????????????

Dekers

Help me out please.

Save me scouring the countryside, I need a scope for a new .223 I'm buying as a Club/Guest rifle.  This is a target only scope.    This will be a perfectly reasonable setup without getting near World class, I can already hear where some will be going on this, but I have delivered 8 V Bulls and 2 Bulls with my T3Lite .223 at 600 yards with a £40 JSR scope on top at the time, and that is plenty good enough, but I need something a bit better that will stand the test of time, this will be a long term investment for my Club.

It MUST cope with 600 yards without daft mounts of shims.

It will mainly be used at 200-300 yards but 600 is essential.

I know a lot will struggle to give me enough elevation, so thats no good obviously.

Now the fun part, budget is £300 to Absolute max of £400.

Suggestions please!

Cheers

PS Scope only ideas please, I have set our Club Armourer the task of delivering a shortlist of suitable rifles.

Thanks again! :thumbs:

Edited by Dekers

Discovery ED or HD range , 30 and 34 mm tubes, a whole lot of scope for the money.
Can be bought in the UK for your budget, but directly imported from the factory in China for a 25 + % saving.

Or Falcons S range , or even a 2nd hand T range 50 x .

23 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Discovery ED or HD range , 30 and 34 mm tubes, a whole lot of scope for the money.
Can be bought in the UK for your budget, but directly imported from the factory in China for a 25 + % saving.

Or Falcons S range , or even a 2nd hand T range 50 x .

Cheers :good:

Have you got/used a Discovery to 600?      My main concern for scopes is that it has the elevation!!!!!   I bought the  best part of £1000 Bushnell LONG RANGE scope about 5 years ago and that was still nearly a metre LOW at maximum elevation at 600 yards on my .243 (went straight back).   I need a scope for a .223 to 600 and that is asking even more.

My .223 has a 200 yards zero, I was using it at 600 on Sunday and there was an 80" (circa 2 metre) drop out to 600, that is asking a lot of many scopes (despite what they may claim).

I'm really after something someone can tell me will do the job for sure, will be using 62g upwards .223 ammo most of the time out of decent length barrel!

:good:

What about a fairly standard scope with a 20 moa scope rail - should cover 100 - 600 with .223 with ease. Or use Burris scope rings with the off set plastic inserts to give you 20 moa..

With you scope set up correctly I think you would only need around 15 -18 moa to get from 100 - 600 yards.

I use a CZ 527 .223 from 100 - 600 with no problem with an old Kassnar scope.

Edited by 1066

I have a HI (mid range) 8-30 x 50 , great glass, it would easily 'see' out to 600y.
Ive not shot my .223 out that far, wrong twist for the heavier bullets.

It has 50 MOA adjustment, some have 60 , that means central , its got 25 MOA each way.

By my 'rough' calculations at a 100 yard zero, it needs 17 MOA to get to 600 yards, this puts you close to limits and is usually not advisable.
Its do able, but a 20 MOA weaver rail, or a bit of back mount shimming would keep it more central.

20 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Hawke Sidewinder 30 SF IR 6-24x56. Under £370. Fantastic scope, lifetime warranty for original purchaser. I've just bought a new one and it's brilliant.

Someone else mentioned those to me...are we CERTAIN they can deal with 600 yards on a .223 without daft mounts of shims?

Cheers

Edited by Dekers

2 minutes ago, Dekers said:

Someone else mentioned those to me...are we CERTAIN they can deal with 600 yards on a .223 without daft mounts of shims?

Depends if you have it mounted right, central to adjustment..however the good thing about the Hawke scope Steve mentioned is its  62 MOA range , BUT I believe 1/4 MOA clicks ?
So not as fine adjustable.

4 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Depends if you have it mounted right, central to adjustment..however the good thing about the Hawke scope Steve mentioned is its  62 MOA range , BUT I believe 1/4 MOA clicks ?
So not as fine adjustable.

Correct, it has 1/4 MOA adjustments on it. I haven't tried it (yet) for 600 yards, so can't comment on that.

3 hours ago, Dekers said:

Cheers

Far from being daft, if investing in a new club .223 rifle for target shooting out to 600 yards, it would be daft not to fit a 20moa rail. 

Cost and fitting would be about the same and they look almost identical. It would mean that you have a vast array of scope that would suit, rather than just a handful and would also be better optically.

With any scope that will cover the required range, with a standard rail at 600 yards you will be far from optical centre and working with the last few clicks of adjustment available. 

With a +20moa rail you will be depressed a little at 100 and about 2/3rds up at 600. Far better all round. (In my opinion :))

4 minutes ago, 1066 said:

Far from being daft, if investing in a new club .223 rifle for target shooting out to 600 yards, it would be daft not to fit a 20moa rail. 

Cost and fitting would be about the same and they look almost identical. It would mean that you have a vast array of scope that would suit, rather than just a handful and would also be better optically.

With any scope that will cover the required range, with a standard rail at 600 yards you will be far from optical centre and working with the last few clicks of adjustment available. 

With a +20moa rail you will be depressed a little at 100 and about 2/3rds up at 600. Far better all round. (In my opinion :))

This is how mine is set up, I dont even use a 20 MOA rail, I just shim the rear mount about 2 mm, keeps optical centre for the 100-300 yard foxing ranges.

19 minutes ago, Dougy said:

You see allot of shooters using Sightron scopes to 600 and beyond. I found enough elevation without a raised mount using the Siii 8-32×56 to 500 with 55grn from a 22.250. 

Yes, I have a Siii 8-32 x56 on my 6mmbr - unfortunately they cost about £1,000 now.

It is difficult to guarantee that the scope will have enough adjustment as the top of the rifle's action is not always true to the bore (eg barrel droop.) 

I have had no problem dialling to 600m and beyond with 223Rem, 20inch barrel, 77gr bullets, using a Vortex PST with a 30mm main tube n a 0moa mount.

However, using a scope at any extreme of its adjustment range is not ideal so, since you are going to need mounts/bases  anyway, why not get a 20moa base/rail or use the Burris Signature Zee rings (or better yet, XTR) and get up to 40moa extra elevation (depending on ring separation.) BTW, the XTR are pricier (often around £60 secondhand, though) but include a set of inserts and are very solid, whereas the Signature Zee rings are lighter weight, cheaper but don't contain the offset inserts. Both are kind to scope tubes.

Edited by Bangbangman

• 2 months later...