Right line, right time!

aga man

I was very kindly invited over the humber to meet up with my good friend JDog yesterday afternoon.

The idea was more to have a catch up really as it almost a year since we properley touched base. I loaded the gear as these meetings usually end some sort of pigeon shooting. 

We spent an hour driving around some of JDogs pernmissions and looked at three fields in particular. The first had birds on but they lifted and moved off. The second again had birds down but more importantly had pigeon 'traffic' and a decent line and looked pretty good to me.

The third field in a lovely part of the wolds had a lot of pigeons 3-400 possibly but as we sat and watched we soon realised that conditions and wind direction coupled with the vast size of the field made it virtually impossible to deal with the birds effectively. 

We both agreed that the second field which was 3" tall peas was the best bet. We chose our spot that would involve the pigeons on the main line travelling right across the 40 acre field to our spot so we used a large decoy spread with 2 magnets and hides 30m apart. We started proceeding at 5.10pm which seems to be a good time at the moment.

From the off the pigeons came straight to us and before i had even opened my cartridge bag JDog had 3 birds down. We wasn't sure how long we would have before the line dried up but conditions were good with over cast skies and a moderate breeze to our backs.

We were both very pleased to have 2 busy hours shooting and killing a bag of 51 pigeons. Many of the birds skirted the pattern a bit but provided some very testing crossers. We both missed dodlers at times but killed some good birds too.

JDogs gun failed mid way into the session which no doubt prevented us killing a good few more but what the heck we had a good do and did a good job protecting the peas.

We finished off the evening with a nice pint and a bite to eat in the local boozer. Conversation and banter was effortless and we both agreed we need to meet up a lot more often. Thanks again JDog, i owe you one which will soon be re payed.

Pigeon salad for tea.

Thanks for reading.

20190626_171703.jpg

Only after we had shot a few could I relax.

I usually delineate incoming pigeons by the hour hand on a clock. Several times I said 'incomers at ten o' clock'  (which was his side of the pattern) to which there was no response so I had to shoot. Eventually I asked him what he was up to only to receive the reply 'I am actually videoing but you keep missing'.

Yes a very good evening.

Edited by JDog

Nice one Aga man , lovely time of the year to pass a few hours in the late afternoon to try and shoot a few pigeons ,  because I have got the time I go around 2pm and find it dry up from 5 .30 so I am normally home for tea about 6 .30 , the ones that come in when I am gone will be there another day , or could be should I say .

P S .... Did you get any young ones ? , as I am getting a few now in most bags .