Dispatching sheep

22 is more than adequate for sheep. 410 will kill horses and most cows. Pigs are trickier because the kill zone on a pigs head is relatively small and they're harder to get to stand still - they're clever and know when theres something up. Bulls or anything a bit angry you want 12g and a really angry bovine wants something like a 357 that you can shoot it from across the shed with! I'm saving up for a 357/38sp carbine for HAD as I do get asked to shoot the odd sheep and an experience with a very angry cow with two broken legs made me want a bit of distance!

If you're going to shoot any livestock make sure you know where to shoot them, the classic X from ear to eye is a good start but as Rake found out their heads can be very hard!

If you're unsure and need to shoot livestock in an emergency a shotgun is a safer bet than a free bullet because at close range you've got a .729 bullet which knocks even OF's 600 into a cocked hat and doesn't cost £20 a bang.

10 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

22 is more than adequate for sheep. 410 will kill horses and most cows. Pigs are trickier because the kill zone on a pigs head is relatively small and they're harder to get to stand still - they're clever and know when theres something up. Bulls or anything a bit angry you want 12g and a really angry bovine wants something like a 357 that you can shoot it from across the shed with! I'm saving up for a 357/38sp carbine for HAD as I do get asked to shoot the odd sheep and an experience with a very angry cow with two broken legs made me want a bit of distance!

If you're going to shoot any livestock make sure you know where to shoot them, the classic X from ear to eye is a good start but as Rake found out their heads can be very hard!

If you're unsure and need to shoot livestock in an emergency a shotgun is a safer bet than a free bullet because at close range you've got a .729 bullet which knocks even OF's 600 into a cocked hat and doesn't cost £20 a bang.

A 38/357  carbine is a great tool for the job, I don't leave home without mine 😁

And I would ad for any one that needs to put down livestock in an emergency have a read of the Humane Slaughter Association publications online.

Edited by bluesj

2 minutes ago, bluesj said:

That the one with the treaded barrel?

I think they do do a threaded model but it sort of defeats the object of the 16 inch barrel if you stick a big long suppressor on it. It comes with iron sights and a rail which I'd stick a little scope on to use in the woods for the odd fox.

In the army they shoot horses with a .32 Webley pistol. Its probably about 70 years old. Every time the horses go out onto the road for what ever reason the senior NCO has one in his pocket just in case one of the horses gets injured, and he is trained how to use it 

Its the same Webley pistol they used to issue to police in London up to about the 1950s but the .32 Webley is not really any more powerful than a .22, its all about how and  where the shot is delivered but the horse never even twitches. Bang and its flat, just a shudder as the muscles let go and its over.  

1 minute ago, Benthejockey said:

I think they do do a threaded model but it sort of defeats the object of the 16 inch barrel if you stick a big long suppressor on it. It comes with iron sights and a rail which I'd stick a little scope on to use in the woods for the odd fox.

Had a play with a treaded one today, must say over all very nice but didn't like the synthetic stock. the mod on it wasn't much bigger than a rimfire mod.

4 minutes ago, bluesj said:

Had a play with a treaded one today, must say over all very nice but didn't like the synthetic stock. the mod on it wasn't much bigger than a rimfire mod.

I think that's the CST model. The csbl has a laminate stock. Livens have the marlin 1895 BLACK on preorder but that's only available in 3030 or 45-70.

In this context, a friend asked for dispatch of cage caught foxes, feral cats, squirrels. mink and rats plus injured foxes, deer, badgers and livestock inc pets (the standard wording for dispatch apparently) the question came back are you a licenced slaughter man?  Whats  a licenced slaughter man?

Just now, Vince Green said:

In this context, a friend asked for dispatch of cage caught foxes, feral cats, squirrels. mink and rats plus injured foxes, deer, badgers and livestock inc pets (the standard wording for dispatch apparently) the question came back are you a licenced slaughter man?  Whats  a licenced slaughter man?

A licensed slaughter man is just that you have a a license to slaughter animals which I believe is called a WATOK - Welfare of Animals at Time Of Killing license and CoC certificate of competency.

17 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

eIn this context, a friend asked for dispatch of cage caught foxes, feral cats, squirrels. mink and rats plus injured foxes, deer, badgers and livestock inc pets (the standard wording for dispatch apparently) the question came back are you a licenced slaughter man?  Whats  a licenced slaughter man?

13 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

A licensed slaughter man is just that you have a a license to slaughter animals which I believe is called a WATOK - Welfare of Animals at Time Of Killing license and CoC certificate of competency.

And not really relevant to humane dispatch its more to do with food production  

Edited by bluesj

18 hours ago, Vince Green said:

In the army they shoot horses with a .32 Webley pistol. Its probably about 70 years old. Every time the horses go out onto the road for what ever reason the senior NCO has one in his pocket just in case one of the horses gets injured, and he is trained how to use it 

Its the same Webley pistol they used to issue to police in London up to about the 1950s but the .32 Webley is not really any more powerful than a .22, its all about how and  where the shot is delivered but the horse never even twitches. Bang and its flat, just a shudder as the muscles let go and its over.  

Our knackerman at work uses one of the old MOD horse dispatch pistols, single shot break barrel jobby. He usually shoots a horse a week, sometimes more and hasn't had a runner yet.....touch wood!

32 minutes ago, kennett said:

Our knackerman at work uses one of the old MOD horse dispatch pistols, single shot break barrel jobby. He usually shoots a horse a week, sometimes more and hasn't had a runner yet.....touch wood!

You dont want to miss when you're shooting a horse because a second chance wont be forthcoming. And if they opt for the fight reflex then a horse is a very nasty piece of work.