Hayter roller lawn mower

Benthejockey

I'm about to inherit a roller mower of father in law. Hes got 2 spare that are too heavy for them and too bug for their little lawn. Now I was going to have the John Deere one because it was at the front of the shed! But when I said today MIL said the hayter one had a bit of an issue so my darling wife said we'd have that one instead and I'd fix it! Apparently it runs well but once it's hot if they turn it off it wont start again until its cooled down. As you may know I'm no Ditchman and my fixing of stuff only goes a fraction further than hitting it with a hammer. Has anyone got any ideas what might be the issue? I'm tempted just to acquire the John Deere one instead of the tricky one!

you will proberly find the coil is on the way out.........a coil is fairly cheap and easily fixed into place (2 bolts) and set the gap between coil and flywheel using a rizla packet...not the paper the packet..............also it might be a plug problem...so new plug first then new coil....will be worth it as those Hayter mowers with rear rollers are bloody expensive machines to buy new.............

Firstly, what make and model engine is fitted.

Our 24” is like Triggers Broom and now sports an more recent Briggs and Stratton.

Failure to start from hot usually stems from fuel issues but also as above spark, due to a change in resistance from heat or can be simply worn cylinder loosing compression when hot and poor valve seating due to carbon build up.

Wise to replace fuel lines as they go brittle with age and can then let air in forming air locks which make starting harder

Over heating can be the following. Spark/lean running/ low oil/ fins on cyl head clogged with grass 

Best thing is, it a four stroke single- super easy to rebuild/sort out

Edited by Jaymo