Webley sport spring removal .

holloway

I have just been given this air rifle and thought i would see if i could renew the mainspring .The question is how do i get the trigger unit out to gain access to the spring ? i have removed the 2 pins holding everything in place at the back of the cylinder and still cant see how it comes out .Do i need to take the trigger unit apart ?.

Any help welcome .

I could be wrong here but after looking at the diagram for that air rifle it looks like the trigger block is what is holding the spring in . If that is the case it would probably be safer to put the pins back in because if you do get the trigger block out the spring which should be under pressure will escape at speed along with the spring guide and a washer or two. It looks like you need a spring compressor with a forked tool to firstly compress the spring then remove the pins and trigger block, after this you remove the tension from the spring compressor and the insides will now be outside.

3 hours ago, sportsbob said:

I could be wrong here but after looking at the diagram for that air rifle it looks like the trigger block is what is holding the spring in . If that is the case it would probably be safer to put the pins back in because if you do get the trigger block out the spring which should be under pressure will escape at speed along with the spring guide and a washer or two. It looks like you need a spring compressor with a forked tool to firstly compress the spring then remove the pins and trigger block, after this you remove the tension from the spring compressor and the insides will now be outside.

That all makes sense ,i did replace both the pins whilst i tried to figure it out i will try to compress the spring ,many thanks for that.

56 minutes ago, holloway said:

That all makes sense ,i did replace both the pins whilst i tried to figure it out i will try to compress the spring ,many thanks for that.

If you haven't got one then YouTube has vids on making Spring compressor

Iirc I gripped the end in-between some wood gripped tightly in a vice. Pushed down the tube and turned untill it unscrewed. If you keep your weight pressing down on it you can release it slowly.  Have used the rounded end of a file handle to lean on and compress the recessed sleeve to take the tension of the retainer pins on some in the past. Think I oy had to press the trigger on some to remove the innards.

Hope you figure it out.

Edited by figgy