Moving house

Hello all,

We’re probably going to be moving house in the next couple of months, within the same licencing area. 

Other than notifying a change of address - what is the protocol for transporting them while there is potentially a lot of upheaval and boxes everywhere?

I’m guessing my 3 x guns will have to travel In the boot of my car in motor cases, and send the cabinet in the moving van along with furniture etc.

Does the new cabinet have to be installed straight away when arriving at the new place (I may get some grief for doing that instead of helping unpack), or could I keep the guns safely locked away in my boot or hidden in the house until I get chance to install? I’d like to keep costs down so would like to avoid rfd storage if possible.

Usually I go in and find the most suitable place to put the cabinet, away from windows view ect before any furniture or boxes are in. Place the cab in situ, maybe not fit it straight away but certainly postion it, chuck the guns in, as in my eyes it's better than a slip in a car, then lock it up. Move the boxes in then bolt it down. If it takes a day before you get round to doing it, still better locked in a metal cabinet than a gun slip. 

Never have I stored guns at a rfd whilst moving, and I've moved at least 6 times to 5 different counties in 2 countries in the last 15 years. 👍

Just arrive, bolt the cabinet to the wall, stick the guns in and then get on with unpacking. 

If your Mrs gives you grief tell her to grow up. 

Its hardly a box of your football **** being unpacked is it. It’s a legal requirement to ensure they are stored securely, and it won’t take more than 30 mins if you make proper arrangements. 

If anyone happens to them, good luck explaining to the Police that you didn’t think it was a priority because your Mrs might tell you off ...

17 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Just arrive, bolt the cabinet to the wall, stick the guns in and then get on with unpacking. 

If your Mrs gives you grief tell her to grow up. 

Its hardly a box of your football **** being unpacked is it. It’s a legal requirement to ensure they are stored securely, and it won’t take more than 30 mins if you make proper arrangements. 

If anyone happens to them, good luck explaining to the Police that you didn’t think it was a priority because your Mrs might tell you off ...

This. Doesn’t take long at all

I stick them in an rfd. For the sake of the £20 it cost me it was worth it. 

The last time installing the cabinet turned into a bit of a nightmare with my drill breaking, walls being very unflat and fixings breaking. What with all the running around required and various trips to DIY stores what should have been a 20minute job was about 4.5 hours. Had that been on moving day with needing to get guns secured it would have been waay more stressful. 

If you're buying all sorts can go wrong at the last minute, not that they happen often, but it does happen 

Long story short. Moving house can be unpredictable. Cover yourself.