Knife from bought blade

Dibble

I thought I'd post some images of a knife I made for my 12yr Daughter, mainly to show how easy it is if you buy a blade.

IMG-0705.jpg

IMG-0706.jpg

Basically it involves buying the blade, Duct tape it up so you don't cut yourself whilst working. The Scales (handle bits) are off cuts of Olive. I made the Yellow and black liners but that was me being indulgent.

The Landyard hole is a bit of Brass tube. If you clamp the blade to one Scale you can use the blade as a template to drill though. Then clamp the blade and both scales and drill back through the lot, that way they are lined up. Once you have drilled one hole you can temporarily put the tube through it to make sure things  stay lined up.

Roughly shape the handle, I draw round it with the brass pins in to locate it, then cut/rasp. This stage is so you can finish the front edge because once it's glued you will mark the blade sanding it. Leave more rather than less wood at this stage. Don't try to round it ,if the sides are flat they are easier to clamp.

Glue it together With Epoxy (24hr Epoxy makes sure you have lots of time to line things up) clamp it and leave overnight.

I do the rough sanding with a belt sander wedged in a vice.

Oil.

33 minutes ago, Dibble said:

I thought I'd post some images of a knife I made for my 12yr Daughter, mainly to show how easy it is if you buy a blade.

IMG-0705.jpg

IMG-0706.jpg

Basically it involves buying the blade, Duct tape it up so you don't cut yourself whilst working. The Scales (handle bits) are off cuts of Olive. I made the Yellow and black liners but that was me being indulgent.

The Landyard hole is a bit of Brass tube. If you clamp the blade to one Scale you can use the blade as a template to drill though. Then clamp the blade and both scales and drill back through the lot, that way they are lined up. Once you have drilled one hole you can temporarily put the tube through it to make sure things  stay lined up.

Roughly shape the handle, I draw round it with the brass pins in to locate it, then cut/rasp. This stage is so you can finish the front edge because once it's glued you will mark the blade sanding it. Leave more rather than less wood at this stage. Don't try to round it ,if the sides are flat they are easier to clamp.

Glue it together With Epoxy (24hr Epoxy makes sure you have lots of time to line things up) clamp it and leave overnight.

I do the rough sanding with a belt sander wedged in a vice.

Oil.

that is a nice little package ,......and i do like the leather work................top stuff

I am seriously tempted to have a go - just need to get rid of one of the two bikes at the rear and also a Honda CRF 250, currently in pieces on the floor and shelves. No real room to move around. The other side of the garage is similarly cluttered.

• 2 weeks later...