Small bird ID please

Teal

The last couple of years really have noticed the increase in the song and the general numbers of birds has gone through the roof, not sure if that is down to farming method, good summers or the heavy carrion crow/magpie control, something else or maybe a combination. Be interested if others are seeing an uptick. The number of finches in general, green and gold especially are through the roof.

Anyway, not knowingly seen one of these before, and trying to make an effort to identify more of the birds on the farm. This chap was eating grass seeds, and I think it might be a linnet? The red on the top of the head and breast was brighter than comes across in the photo, but know someone on here will have the answer!

Edit: updated photographs as originals were poor!

Screenshot_20190628-135041~2.png

Screenshot_20190628-133920~2.png

Screenshot_20190628-133942~2.png

Certainly seeing a lot more small birds in my garden, i always find it strange how there is nothing in the garden then boom, they all turn up, same when i fill up the feeders.

The wood we control the greys in was full of young robins yesterday, predator control certainly helps.

Will have to do some more research on them myself, really going to try and make more of an effort with learning to ID and carrying binoculars. Fairly confident I saw a yellowhammer with two recent fledglings yesterday, but never seen one before and I didn't have the binoculars on them for long. A very vibrant yellow.

Anyway I'd like some more help please with a different ID! This evening about 10pm there was a loud whistling of three notes that would repeat and then pause and then start up again. To be honest not at all confident on what is making it. It was being carried on the wind and seemed close. Nothing to see on the video just the audio. 

We have had more species of Finch and small birds but not as many of say blue and great tits. Where we would see eight to ten of each around the feeders it's down to around four or five. Had gold or fire Crest this year so pleased with that and a breeding pair of bullfinch and wrens. Not seen many linnets round my way in last couple of years.

My neighbours feed a lot and some of us control the corvids and squizzers, all helps.

11 hours ago, Teal said:

Will have to do some more research on them myself, really going to try and make more of an effort with learning to ID and carrying binoculars. Fairly confident I saw a yellowhammer with two recent fledglings yesterday, but never seen one before and I didn't have the binoculars on them for long. A very vibrant yellow.

Anyway I'd like some more help please with a different ID! This evening about 10pm there was a loud whistling of three notes that would repeat and then pause and then start up again. To be honest not at all confident on what is making it. It was being carried on the wind and seemed close. Nothing to see on the video just the audio. 

I haven't listened yet, I'm in work, but my guess is a song thrush, some place high up, hidden? The three notes make me think there saying " what you doing" repeated.

I was out last night about half ten not quite dark and could hear what I thought was an owl calling to a youngster? I must have been a few metres away but couldn't spot them in the shadow and gloom, I'll try again tonight, as for the little bats I could see??

9 hours ago, Mice! said:

I haven't listened yet, I'm in work, but my guess is a song thrush, some place high up, hidden? The three notes make me think there saying " what you doing" repeated.

I was out last night about half ten not quite dark and could hear what I thought was an owl calling to a youngster? I must have been a few metres away but couldn't spot them in the shadow and gloom, I'll try again tonight, as for the little bats I could see??

I think you could be right! I listened to a few calls on YouTube and whilst not the exact same they were fairly similar and definitely loud enough! Would be interested if you managed a listen in due course. Owls quite easy to ID from their calls, or was it something non standard as communicating to youngster?

Interesting figgy about what you are seeing, definitely more finches here too. Bullfinches are lovely have seen plenty here but not recently, see them more frequently in the winter perhaps just with so much cover need to spend more time with the binos.

Magpies have just fledged here too, moved the Larsen and picked up one group on the far boundary. These chaps just flew the nest yesterday for the first time, 4 of them! 

IMG_20190628_182052.jpg

We might well be seeing more song birds and birds in general in fact our most common bird in my back garden is the Wood Pigeon along with several other birds , mainly Black birds and a few Tits and Finches .

What do seem in very short supply this year are the Swifts and Swallows , yes there are a few about but not the numbers we have seen in previous years . 

just had a listen, it seems a little sharper than the thrush I hear, with a shorter note, possibly? But i can only just make it out.

I've just been out on My bike around the lanes, coming back through a piece of woodland i stopped dead, some sort of hooping call or soft alarm type noise, couldn't spot the bird never heard anything like it, and only two bunnies.

"Owls quite easy to ID from their calls, or was it something non standard as communicating to youngster?"

I think it may have been a parent and youngster, most likely a Tawny owl, but they were hiding from me.

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 20:59, Teal said:

Owls quite easy to ID from their calls, or was it something non

Spotted one last night, Tawny owl, sat perfectly still brilliant camouflage, calling too each other but not the normal, too it to woo they do.

Nice spot Mice, yeah they are usually pretty classic! We have a youngster here and it is seriously noisy!

Very exciting news today.... I believe I saw the audio culprit and have a confirmation on ID! 

Thanks for all suggestions. I've now compared the calls of them to my audio clip above and it's a match. Can hardly believe it, but it's a quail! And I certainly saw one today. Feeling pretty stoked about it!

22 minutes ago, Teal said:

Nice spot Mice, yeah they are usually pretty classic! We have a youngster here and it is seriously noisy!

Very exciting news today.... I believe I saw the audio culprit and have a confirmation on ID! 

Thanks for all suggestions. I've now compared the calls of them to my audio clip above and it's a match. Can hardly believe it, but it's a quail! And I certainly saw one today. Feeling pretty stoked about it!

You should feel stoked. I have been looking and listening for quail for a great many years and I have yet to see or hear one. I thought I had cracked it three years ago but the bird turned out to be something else.

I presume that the land where you are is chalk?

Edited by JDog