Mid Range Semi Auto Advice

Jayjay000

I'm due to be buying my first Shotgun soon (August pay day) and want to go for a Semi Auto. I will be using it mostly for Clays but want to venture into practical shooting at some point as well. My reason for choosing a Semi Auto is somewhat work related and somewhat just because I like the look of them.

My budget is around £600-700 and I'd preferably like to buy new.

From my own research (YouTube and the font of all knowledge.. Google) I've narrowed it down too:

Winchester SX4

Franchi Affinity

Out of the 3, my eye has been turned most by the Franchi Affinity and its 7 Year Warranty. It just seems like a good option for a relatively new shooter for if something went wrong.  Im also interested in the Sporting version of the Affinity. Just wondered if there was any pearls of wisdom or general thoughts particularly with the two (sort of 3) I have mentioned but also any others I've missed.

Cheers,

18 minutes ago, deny essex said:

Ive been using an Afinity for 3 years and its never missed a beat.

What version do you have, what do you use it for and what barrel length? 

Some of the reviews I've read/watched say it can be fussy with cartridges. I'm guessing your experience is to the contrary?

Is this your first gun ever? As in you've got your cert and want to get something?

You say you'll want to end up doing `practical` shooting - what does that mean?

How is a S/A work related?

I have a Hatsan `sythentic` (black plastic) - certainly the cheaper end of the market but it's great for pigeon/corvid shooting as it's not too pretty and will get scratched up a bit. It's worked great for me as anything nicer would be wasted on me.

I've used it on clays but one clay club local to me preferred people not to use them because people were ignoring the 2 shot rule and putting 2+1 in. I don't think it's an issue at most places though.

It's a gun you can't really take game shooting - but that's not set in stone.

As for cartridges - mine is fussy and will fire anything with a 70mm case - anything less (67.5 or 65mm) will cause a mis-feed. If I load 1+1 it seems okay. A lot of S/A's prefer 70mm and more cartridge manufacturers are offering 70mm cases.

Hope you find something you like and it gives you a lot of enjoyment.

7 minutes ago, hedge said:

Is this your first gun ever? As in you've got your cert and want to get something?

You say you'll want to end up doing `practical` shooting - what does that mean?

How is a S/A work related?

I have a Hatsan `sythentic` (black plastic) - certainly the cheaper end of the market but it's great for pigeon/corvid shooting as it's not too pretty and will get scratched up a bit. It's worked great for me as anything nicer would be wasted on me.

I've used it on clays but one clay club local to me preferred people not to use them because people were ignoring the 2 shot rule and putting 2+1 in. I don't think it's an issue at most places though.

It's a gun you can't really take game shooting - but that's not set in stone.

As for cartridges - mine is fussy and will fire anything with a 70mm case - anything less (67.5 or 65mm) will cause a mis-feed. If I load 1+1 it seems okay. A lot of S/A's prefer 70mm and more cartridge manufacturers are offering 70mm cases.

Hope you find something you like and it gives you a lot of enjoyment.

It will be my first that I've owned yes.

I have a few colleagues at work who own shotguns, some do clay shooting, some hunt, some do practical shotgun and/or 3 gun. Whilst I am quite happy to go to my local clay ground a couple of times a month, the drive for where my colleagues do practical shotgun at the minute is a bit beyond me to do regularly.

At work we have various shotguns, Super Novas primarily but have a S/A or two laying around. So whilst I physically cant own the variants we use, something that vaguely resembles them will at least mean I can keep my shooting standards up in between qualification shoots.

The 2 local grounds I've been too I've seen lots of S/As being used so I'm fairly happy I wont be frowned upon.

I did look at Hatsan/Armsan, but they didnt feel as nice as the Winchester and Franchi.

19 minutes ago, figgy said:

Used Benelli M2, lots use them and plenty of after market bits for practical shotgun.

I'd like a Benelli, but I'm 95% certain I'll be buying new as I'm being offered a considerable discount and as such the M2 is out of budget - aka the wife would kill me if she found out how much I spent.

If it's out of budget new you may find a used within your budget.

Buying new and wanting something to do both disciplines limits your choices.

Buy for clay shooting and later look at a cheap.pump action for psg.

Edited by figgy

8 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

franchi, lovely to shoot with, and 7 year warranty its a no brainer, I love mine.

The 7 year warranty really is what's swaying me at the moment. A sizeable discount initially and a long warranty will hopefully mean the not having to spend on it and the wife wont get too angry.

Same questions to you though please if you wouldnt mind...

46 minutes ago, Jayjay000 said:

What version do you have, what do you use it for and what barrel length? 

Some of the reviews I've read/watched say it can be fussy with cartridges. I'm guessing your experience is to the contrary?

Edited by Jayjay000

2 minutes ago, figgy said:

If it's out of budget new you may find a used within your budget.

Buying new and wanting something to do both disciplines limits your choices.

Buy for clay shooting and later look at a cheap.pump action for psg.

This was an option I was considering. Hence my interest in the Affinity Sporting. 

I would just buy the Super Nova but I dont see a Pump being much use for Clay's...

8 minutes ago, Jayjay000 said:

At work we have various shotguns, Super Novas primarily but have a S/A or two laying around. So whilst I physically cant own the variants we use, something that vaguely resembles them will at least mean I can keep my shooting standards up in between qualification shoots.

S/A laying around ?  Why can't you 'physically' own one ?

I have an Affinity and a Benelli and shot the SX4 a lot.

Through choice I prefer inertia guns, much less cleaning and ultra reliable. Gas guns are a bore to clean, which they will need reqularly.

neither the Affinity or the Benelli have let me down.  I shoot the black plastic Affinity in wet weather for the last 3 years and the pretty walnut Benelli in dry weather.  may be sad but that's me and I love shooting them both.  

Also -  i think the SX4 is less easy to adjust drop at comb, might be wrong there, I prefer a low comb and both my guns are set at 60 mm so I see a flat rib when shooting.

Can't fault the Affinity in any way.

A few friends have a mixture of SX3 and SX4 and all swear by them as well.  Try them all out and buy the one the fits you best and you feel most comfortable with.

Cheers and good luck

20 hours ago, Jayjay000 said:

The 7 year warranty really is what's swaying me at the moment. A sizeable discount initially and a long warranty will hopefully mean the not having to spend on it and the wife wont get too angry.

Same questions to you though please if you wouldnt mind...

think its 28 in barrel, and no its not the sporter. I shoot crows, pigeons and vermin with mine. Buy one, use it, clean it, and you wont regret it.

I brought a Franchi Affinity to shoot wildfowl , due to my Betetta OU not being steel proofed. Really good lightweight auto that has had quite a few cartridges through it with no problem. Like it so much I often use iron clays and pigeon shooting, it is the black version so can wipe mud and rain off it no problem. The wood version looks nice if using for clays, would recommend one to anyone. 

Where are you based, as if near me you could try it out on some clays

On 30/06/2019 at 15:54, Stimo22 said:

I brought a Franchi Affinity to shoot wildfowl , due to my Betetta OU not being steel proofed. Really good lightweight auto that has had quite a few cartridges through it with no problem. Like it so much I often use iron clays and pigeon shooting, it is the black version so can wipe mud and rain off it no problem. The wood version looks nice if using for clays, would recommend one to anyone. 

Where are you based, as if near me you could try it out on some clays

Thanks,

I'm in Essex but should have the opportunity to try it out before I buy anyway with the dealer.

On 28/06/2019 at 23:03, Jayjay000 said:

This was an option I was considering. Hence my interest in the Affinity Sporting. 

I would just buy the Super Nova but I dont see a Pump being much use for Clay's...

A pump is great fun on the clays! 

I had a good look over a stoger peregrine and it was very nice for a cheaper end semi but ended up coming away with a winchester super x pump and definitely don't regret it. 

10 minutes ago, Harry136 said:

They suffer less cycling problems due to using gas rather than inertia. Mines and FAC Maxus One with wooden furniture, once fitted correctly, its been brilliant!

Don't agree. Not had a single cycling issue on either of my inertia guns in all weathers and after many many 1000s of cartridges.

Seen plenty on gas guns though, either other people's or ones I used to own. It's the main reason I changed to inertia gun. Much better reliability.