“Rant” ruined birthday in Aberdeen!

Lord Geordie

I recently booked a two night romantic get away in Aberdeen for my partner for her birthday! The plan was to cook her a nice meal, wine, and rather than a room I booked an apartment in the city centre. This had raving reviews on booking.com and was the best I could find in regard of review scores. 

After a five hour drive I arrived at the apartment and parked in a private space I had to hire for three days, as the parking is a pain apparently. after being told how to get the keys, let ourselves in. My jaw dropped the moment I walked in! Woodchip paper hanging off the walls, filthy woodwork, filthy carpets, the staircase leading to the apartment was devoid of spindles. 

I opened the apartment door and went to put the luggage into the bedroom, to be greeted by almost taking my eye out on a screw sticking out of the wall by an inch, no headboard, filthy mismatched bed base. There was a blood stain on one pillow and drool stains too!

There were crumbs and cereal still on the kitchen floor, the rug was full of dirt too, the dishwasher taped shut with parcel tape, the cups were badly stained also. 

I sat in the living room trying to console Jacki as by this point she was devastated. I picked up my phone and rang booking.com and spoke to a rep, at that point I noticed something beneath the plinth of the sofa. Chips and custard cream bits? And in front of the fireplace was a hoop style earring. Quite obvious they had not even cleaned the apartment.

the rep said the could not contact the owner and had sent him an email with a 30 min deadline to answer it. At that point they would ring me back to try and help me out. So an hour later still no call back, I took it upon myself to call back and spoke to another person. This time I was told because they can’t contact the owner, there is nothing they can do. I explained the situation again, and I was not prepared to put Jacki through having to stay is such a filthy hole! 

They then said they would contact him again and ask if he would voluntarily refund me the money!!

so after that call Made arrangements to book into a hotel instead and blow the two day spending budget just to make it a nice stay for Jacki. The hotel staff were able to find us a room at short notice and we set off from Aberdeen up to Dyce. 

We made the most of the time we had there! Visited Dyce, Aberdeen, Inverurie, Banchory, Forfar, Dundee, and Perth. My romantic meal I had taken up had to be binned as I had no way of cooking it and instead we had a takeout with the bottle of wine. 

I got home to find an email from booking.com saying that they can not refund me as the owners contract is that the complaint must be within the stay and not after check out? I complained the moment I arrived and was due to stay TWO evenings? But basically I can kiss goodbye to it even after providing the photographs of the place! 

I was also asked to leave a review of the apartment on booking.com! So I did, along with all the photographs! Surprise surprise, it has not been published :rolleyes: 

what should have been a romantic trip away for two nights, filled with fond memorable moments, is now more memorable for the wrong reasons. 

I am now home with a raging headache from the stress, and feeling rather deflated. 

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. If you do ever head to Aberdeen again, try this place.

https://www.woodleisure.co.uk/our-parks/deeside/

When I was working up there, we rented a log cabin style place and it was faultless. I could have lived in it, it was that nice and it is right on the river Dee.

We also rented a cottage further out when we returned as Deeside was fully booked. Can't remember where or what it was called it wasn't as nice as Deeside but was still nice.

Don't let it drop, Facebook review sites, money supermarket post it everywhere.

You often see these kind of questions in the papers with people asking for legal advice then getting refunded.

you must have looked at pictures, thought wow that's nice then got screw fixed by the sound of things.

Complain like mad, two reps completely failed you, ruined what should have been a great trip, my sister makes complaining about this sort of thing an art form, ask for managers, then their managers if need be, you were sold a service which was obviously not as advertised.

Hope you get a result 

1 hour ago, Lord Geordie said:

I recently booked a two night romantic get away in Aberdeen for my partner for her birthday! The plan was to cook her a nice meal, wine, and rather than a room I booked an apartment in the city centre. This had raving reviews on booking.com and was the best I could find in regard of review scores. 

After a five hour drive I arrived at the apartment and parked in a private space I had to hire for three days, as the parking is a pain apparently. after being told how to get the keys, let ourselves in. My jaw dropped the moment I walked in! Woodchip paper hanging off the walls, filthy woodwork, filthy carpets, the staircase leading to the apartment was devoid of spindles. 

I opened the apartment door and went to put the luggage into the bedroom, to be greeted by almost taking my eye out on a screw sticking out of the wall by an inch, no headboard, filthy mismatched bed base. There was a blood stain on one pillow and drool stains too!

There were crumbs and cereal still on the kitchen floor, the rug was full of dirt too, the dishwasher taped shut with parcel tape, the cups were badly stained also. 

I sat in the living room trying to console Jacki as by this point she was devastated. I picked up my phone and rang booking.com and spoke to a rep, at that point I noticed something beneath the plinth of the sofa. Chips and custard cream bits? And in front of the fireplace was a hoop style earring. Quite obvious they had not even cleaned the apartment.

the rep said the could not contact the owner and had sent him an email with a 30 min deadline to answer it. At that point they would ring me back to try and help me out. So an hour later still no call back, I took it upon myself to call back and spoke to another person. This time I was told because they can’t contact the owner, there is nothing they can do. I explained the situation again, and I was not prepared to put Jacki through having to stay is such a filthy hole! 

They then said they would contact him again and ask if he would voluntarily refund me the money!!

so after that call Made arrangements to book into a hotel instead and blow the two day spending budget just to make it a nice stay for Jacki. The hotel staff were able to find us a room at short notice and we set off from Aberdeen up to Dyce. 

We made the most of the time we had there! Visited Dyce, Aberdeen, Inverurie, Banchory, Forfar, Dundee, and Perth. My romantic meal I had taken up had to be binned as I had no way of cooking it and instead we had a takeout with the bottle of wine. 

I got home to find an email from booking.com saying that they can not refund me as the owners contract is that the complaint must be within the stay and not after check out? I complained the moment I arrived and was due to stay TWO evenings? But basically I can kiss goodbye to it even after providing the photographs of the place! 

I was also asked to leave a review of the apartment on booking.com! So I did, along with all the photographs! Surprise surprise, it has not been published  

what should have been a romantic trip away for two nights, filled with fond memorable moments, is now more memorable for the wrong reasons. 

I am now home with a raging headache from the stress, and feeling rather deflated. 

That sounds like our house 😅.

I really sympathise with you mart , it's horrible when you pay for something, and get a pile of crud in return for your cash. If it were me ,I'd complain until I shamed someone into giving me my money back mate.

That sucks,  I was in Louisville KY for the machine gun festival.  I didn’t get a hotel ahead because it’s a huge city.  Well apparently there was a horse show that’s t the largest in the world going on that weekend.  I called around and found two rooms one was $69 dollars a night and the other was $580 a night.  Being somewhat poor I chose the $69 a night and it was exactly what you think a $69 dollar hotel would be like.  

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

Don't let it drop, Facebook review sites, money supermarket post it everywhere.

You often see these kind of questions in the papers with people asking for legal advice then getting refunded.

you must have looked at pictures, thought wow that's nice then got screw fixed by the sound of things.

Complain like mad, two reps completely failed you, ruined what should have been a great trip, my sister makes complaining about this sort of thing an art form, ask for managers, then their managers if need be, you were sold a service which was obviously not as advertised.

Hope you get a result 

This ^

You should not only get a refund but also compensation

Agree with above, harass and annoy these people relentlessly until you get recompense.

Use social media to ask where you can find that recompense, name and shame and advise others ( using the photos you have ) to avoid paying for this place, and you will eventually get a response. 

Sounds exactly like what you can expect to  get when you book somewhere on AirBnB

My nephew is an archaeologist and his work moves around the country continuously following new road building projects and the like. He uses Airbnb a lot and while his expectations are not high anyway some of the places are really dire.

Edited by Vince Green

That's awful.

My own experience with booking.com has been very good. I have never had to lodge a complaint. 

AirBnB has been a let down,  though that was due to a few hosts cancelling at short notice,  not due to poor quality accommodation. 

I would keep complaining every way you can including the credit card company. 

My review on booking . com is still waiting to be published “if it actually does get published” and trip advisor does not recognise the place I stayed so I can’t leave a review there either. Facebook is the only real platform I can use thus far. But it’s limited to a small friends group as I don’t share with the public on there. Still waiting to hear from booking . com after sending another email this morning. But alas no reply as yet. 

22 minutes ago, Lord Geordie said:

My review on booking . com is still waiting to be published “if it actually does get published” and trip advisor does not recognise the place I stayed so I can’t leave a review there either. Facebook is the only real platform I can use thus far. But it’s limited to a small friends group as I don’t share with the public on there. Still waiting to hear from booking . com after sending another email this morning. But alas no reply as yet. 

My heart goes out to you L G , you have got a good will in your way and yet you always get the raw end of a deal , hope you get a just reward and luck is on your side the next day planed out , if anyone deserve some luck you would certainly qualify .

All the best M M.

8 minutes ago, KFC said:

I would be going straight down the small claims court route. Every contract has to be reasonable and, if you get a judgement then it can be enforced.

This - write a letter before action to booking.com and then submit a claim. Quote health and safety and hygiene failures along with breach of contract. You can bet if they didn’t clear the plates etc they wouldn’t have changed the bedding etc. 

The problem is that lots of very unsuitable people are being encouraged to rent out their "own" homes, even if they are not allowed to do so by their Mortgage provider, tenancy agreement, house insurance etc in order to make extra cash.

Airbnb is probably the worst example, they really don't give a toss but there are lots of others. Bookings dot com it appears is another one. Their attitude is not our problem if its legal or not, we just handle the bookings.   

Edited by Vince Green