Canon - Observations please

Bobba

The daughter-in-law is clearing out some family storage and came across this canon. She believes it to be an ornamental canon presented to her father, possibly in Brunei. (He was a retired Maj General now deceased). Although now an ornament she believes it to have been made from a genuine ships canon. It is very substantial in weight.

Anybody any ideas as to whether it is what she believes it to be, or perhaps the real Mccoy? And any ideas as to value and what to do with it as she is not inclined to keep it.

Thanks

Canon 1.JPG

Canon 2.JPG

Edited by Bobba

May I suggest you take it (or send it) to Holts - they might have a valuation day near you in July? 

The barrel looks original - some measurements might help? 

Is the barrel blocked (very possibly loaded) Looks very "Eastern".

3 hours ago, Hector Vector said:

Lantaka.

Very many thanks. Indeed it is. My daughter-in-law is extremely grateful to you.

It now adds a new dimension to what she thought may have been a piece of formal military tourist tat. Some are extremely expensive. So she's taking it down from Facebook from being "free to a loving home" !! Clearly it needs a lot more research when she's next back in UK from Singapore.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a ships rail mounted swivel gun by the trunnions. I believe it was intended to have a firing lock fitted but that part of manufacture was never accomplished. It was fired using a match. very old design. Possibly effective for repelling boarders. Off a junk or barge of some sort would be my guess.

I picked up on the suggestion of CaptC and emailed a photo to Holts Auctioneers. One of their experts very kindly replied. He confirmed the identification of Hector Vector  that it is a Lantaka and they hail from along the Malayan peninsular and right across China. From its styling it probably fairly late, probably around 150 years old. The mount is much later, probably purposely carved for displaying it. It would probably achieve up to £300 at auction subject to first hand examination. 

My daughter in law was delighted with this advice and the canon stays in store until their return to the UK.