What is this?

steve_b_wales

Lately, there's been a lot of these insects walking around aimlessley on my patio slabs. Then, they die shortly afterwards. I've put them on flower petals to see if that would help, but they still died. I don't know if they are some sort of Bee? They are approx 10mm long. Not the best of photo's sorry.

BEE_2.JPG

BEE 1.jpg

Yep, looks like that to me. The body not flat enough to be a hover fly.  Correct me, but is this one of those responsible for those big white grubs I used to pop out of the backs of our dairy cows back in the 50s ?  Ruin the leather they do.

I pulled your photo and tidied it up and I have changed my mind ....masonary bee.  Dig holes in your mortar between the bricks.

Edited by Walker570

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yep, looks like that to me. The body not flat enough to be a hover fly.  Correct me, but is this one of those responsible for those big white grubs I used to pop out of the backs of our dairy cows back in the 50s ?  Ruin the leather they do.

I pulled your photo and tidied it up and I have changed my mind ....masonary bee.  Dig holes in your mortar between the bricks.

that's a bot fly

14 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Thanks old'un, it all comes back. Used to use for fishing like wasp grub.

Yep, Bot fly’s  real nasty things, growing under your skin and eating you alive, but the ones you found under the cows skin could have been Warble fly grubs, also very nasty.

19 minutes ago, old'un said:

Yep, Bot fly’s  real nasty things, growing under your skin and eating you alive, but the ones you found under the cows skin could have been Warble fly grubs, also very nasty.

yep warble, dairy farm i worked on in the 70's had them, seldom see it now. you could tell when the fly was laying eggs into the cows legs, when a group would run off with their tails in the air,  they would ruin a hide by leaving holes when they hatched out of the back...

Hypoderma-Warbles-cattle-back.jpg.875693b5d73b9c7ca5044fee22d067cf.jpg

The ones on my patio are in their last stages of life, and after moving around on the slabs for 5-10 minutes, slow right down then die. I'll try and get a better photo of the next one I find.

2 hours ago, old'un said:

that's a bot fly

The Bot fly photo's I pulled up have one stripe on it's back. These have small stripes all down their back's.

1 hour ago, steve_b_wales said:

The ones on my patio are in their last stages of life, and after moving around on the slabs for 5-10 minutes, slow right down then die. I'll try and get a better photo of the next one I find.

The Bot fly photo's I pulled up have one stripe on it's back. These have small stripes all down their back's.

Got exactly same thing on my patio,it kept taking off and landing falling over doing the dance of a drunk fly,then I got bored.

9 hours ago, vampire said:

Got exactly same thing on my patio,it kept taking off and landing falling over doing the dance of a drunk fly,then I got bored.

These don't even fly anywhere. They just go round in circles and/or walk around the patio slabs, then fall onto their sides and slowly die.

18 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

No, I was referring to Walker570 and the grubs he found under the skin of cattle.

But the photo you put-up looks like a honey bee?.

Slightly off topic, but warble flies and their larvae can still be an issue for wild deer. Not so much in domestic stock, but expect that's because they can been treated with a preventative. 

Nasal bot fly is even nastier and again crops up in wild deer populations, particularly in scotland. Take a look at google if you can stomach it. 

20 minutes ago, Novice said:

Slightly off topic, but warble flies and their larvae can still be an issue for wild deer. Not so much in domestic stock, but expect that's because they can been treated with a preventative. 

Nasal bot fly is even nastier and again crops up in wild deer populations, particularly in scotland. Take a look at google if you can stomach it. 

Despite not being as prevalent in domestic cattle these days, the sound of one (or a drone) still gets cattle tails up & they're off. 

Have seen nasal bots in sheep, and headfly are real pest for sheep.