Who Braved Shooting In The Heat Today ?

marsh man

Today down our neck of the woods was scorching even though we had a sea breeze , it was hot but not hot enough to keep me in , the plan was shooting a Pea field that had some trees around the hedge so I could get in the shade , the first problem when I reached the field entrance was a irragation pipe feeding the pumps on the spud field next door , although it was a flexible pipe that goes flat when not in use I darn't risk driving over it while it was inflated .

So the next plan was a Barley field that the Corvid's have been giving it some stick , this had a grazing field next door where I could drive up to the trees without lugging any gear about which nowadays take priority over a long walk , several pigeons got out of the trees and a few from the crop so it wasn't looking to bad , the magnet came into play with a floater either side and that was it as I didn't bother to put any decoys out , I was hopping they came into the magnet or the Oak tree I was under , time I got comfortable and switched the radio on the first one was heading towards the magnet or the tree , it didn't really matter as it ended up the first retrieve for my dog and the first one of the day , this is how it went on and off during the afternoon and the last half an hour it went dead and I never had another shot, so it was time to call it a day with 21 all safely picked , an enjoyable afternoon for a pensioner  without getting sun stroke .

Did you venture out ??

Went out just to put the trail cams back out after new batteries and had an hour with the 17HMR resulting in one squirrel but everything seemed to be hunkered down.  I was ok tucked against a large ivy covered tree in the shade with a gentle breeze.  It was a brilliant day here, reminded me of some of the summers I remember back in the early 50s.

Edited by Walker570

I was out on Saturday too, but I'm smart enough to avoid exerting myself when it's 33 C in the shade :) Took the Mrs, the dog, a picnic, a Kelly Kettle and 2 folding chairs down to a nice spinney on the perm that has a small brook running through it. Spent the entire afternoon reading our books whilst sitting in the breeze and out of the sun, drinking fresh tea and eating sarni's and home made honey cake while the dog dug holes and cooled off by running in and out of the brook.

This spinney is a favourite for the birds to roost in and for sitting up in during the day between feeds. Spooked 3 out of the place as we arrived and didn't see another all day so there would have been no point in having the gun with me anyway.

I am an English man. Cold, damp, snow or drizzle I can cope with, but anything over 25C simply shouldn't be allowed in out sacred isle, and anything over 30 I consider to be down-right rude.

56 minutes ago, Longstrider said:

Cold, damp, snow or drizzle I can cope with, but anything over 25C simply shouldn't be allowed in out sacred isle,

This is a mirror image of my weather outlook. The Saturday down in this area was unbearable and it was feet up in front of the TV with two fans going. On Sunday the temp went down a bit and a breeze picked up. Two of us sat out on a soya field from 3-00 pm till 7-30 that has been well hammered over the last few weeks. We managed 15 picked, with another 3 down in an adjacent barley field that we left as we didnt take our dogs.

It was worth the trip as it gave us chance to pin-point flight lines and the areas they are using for our next visit. The highlight of the day was a Peregrine who came stooging past and was evidently attracted to my bouncer mounted hypa-flap, I thought on one pass he was going to stoop on it but its lack of forward movement evidently spooked him and he glided off.