Who said police are underfunded, I doubt it from this farce

lakeside1000

1 hour ago, twenty said:

The diagram explains things well, but the problem I encounter most (especially at this time of the year), are the cyclists in country lanes,

Most of these lanes are barely 3-4 metres wide, and unfortunately in my experience most cyclists are loath to give way, even when they reach a designated passing place.  2 and 3 abreast stops people in both directions and often causes vehicles to need to reverse considerable distances

There is no chance of allowing 1.5metres clearance even if a passing opportunity arises, and frustration starts when you are held up for any length of time, especially when another car joins behind you and tailgates, thinking he/she could do better at passing.

Most farmers however, do pull in to let you pass     As do walkers and most Horse riders

Add to this hills.  We were unfortunate to be on the route of a couple of the "tours" a couple of years back. The disruption cause by this was unfortunate, but with forewarning, acceptable.  The knock on from this 2+ years on is not, groups of cyclists 10 to 30 strong flogging up the bendy 1 mile climbs all over the road and not giving way to other users (motors , horses, walkers) in either direction and getting abusive to other users stopped because of them for being "in their way".  Those coming down at speeds on bending roads that they have no hope of stopping or avoiding other users.  I would add that happens at any time of day most weekends and most of the summer holidays and that the roads are such that motorists seldom travel at more than 25mph because of the nature of these roads (on one occasion I was passed by 2 such cyclists idiots on a descent).

Whilst I respect that cyclists have every right to be there they should ALL show other lane users the respect they expect from them.  Head down backside up and bash on regardless as many of then do is not acceptable.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, twenty said:

The diagram explains things well, but the problem I encounter most (especially at this time of the year), are the cyclists in country lanes,

Most of these lanes are barely 3-4 metres wide, and unfortunately in my experience most cyclists are loath to give way, even when they reach a designated passing place.

There is no chance of allowing 1.5metres clearance even if a passing opportunity arises, and frustration starts when you are held up for any length of time, especially when another car joins behind you and tailgates, thinking he/she could do better at passing.

Most farmers however, do pull in to let you pass

:) I can see that - when I have been riding in a group, we've singled out, or pulled over to let accumulated traffic from behind pass safely. On my daily ride home along narrow lanes with passing spaces, I will stop where it is safe to do so at certain points and wave drivers past me.  No-one wants a frustrated driver up their backside !

7 hours ago, arjimlad said:

:) I can see that - when I have been riding in a group, we've singled out, or pulled over to let accumulated traffic from behind pass safely. On my daily ride home along narrow lanes with passing spaces, I will stop where it is safe to do so at certain points and wave drivers past me.  No-one wants a frustrated driver up their backside !

Fair play to you...........all the best....:good:

The frustration at my place of work is when the cyclists take the racing line round blind corners at such speeds that they can't stop and end up either being confronted by cattle movements or running into the back of tractors travelling in the same direction as the cyclists...... and then blaming everyone apart from them selves for the situation!!!!