Getting into shooting

Gbonn

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and have some questions to ask if you don't mind helping me. I have moved to the UK 2 years ago from Malta to continue my medical training and work here as a doctor. In Malta I used to practice shooting for birds and rabbits. Now that I'm settled here I would like to get into the shooting practice in the UK. 

Can you please tell me what do I need to do step by step please?

I understand that I need to have a club membership and be insured (ex: BASC membership) to practice, and having a shotgun certificate if I decide to own my shotgun.

Regarding the general licence, do I need to do some sort of application against a payment? 

Then all I need is to get a permission to access land and shoot or join a syndicate (which is most probably the hardest to achieve). Right?

All help is appreciated guys.

Thanks a lot

Gary

If you can comply with the terms? Medical health grounds, security requirements and a character reference from someone who has known you personally for the required period of time? Just fill in the application form (and photographs!) and send it (and the relevant fee) to the police in the area you live for a shotgun certificate, you do not need to belong to a club, you can (voluntary!) join a shooting association (basc?) for insurance, advice and support! 

Research what you need to know on the internet, most police have a website to inform would be applicants!

Once you have had a check visit from the firearms department and hopefully been granted a Shotgun Certificate, you can join a local Clay club......a game syndicate or you could try and buy a peg on a local game shoot............if your after rabbits pigeons etc the hunt for permission to shoot over land begins.......you will need to approach local landowners........best of luck!

Get your licence as above. Insurance is technically not needed, but youd be a fool to shoot without and doubtful you'd get permission on some areas. Some farmers ask, some of mine never did. Some clubs (clay or range) require you to have it, some have it as part of the joining fee. 

Shop about, some are no frills, some are expensive by comparison. I'm with basc, about £100 a year. Make sure it has a high liability is all. Think with basc it's £5,000,000 your covered for in a incident. 

You could probably join a shoot very easily and cheaply, some advertised on here can be pennies if you have a dog. Just have a lesson on gun safety, not being rude, most people I've encountered before from abroad can be a bit lively with their barrels (plus I've no experience of what level you are safety wise, dont want you to have to use that training just yet! ). 

As for the general licence, that's got a whole section on here, thankfully it's been sorted out (to a point) but have a good read. Dunno what it's like in Malta, but over here we need a valid reason for shooting a pigeon, read the general licences, make sure you understand them, and choose which one applys. If nothing, dont take the shot. Most often it's used as crop protection. Does not cost a penny to shoot any of the birds allowed in the UK, or for usuage of the general licence. Some species feathered or fur might have seasons though. 

Welcome to the sport this side of the pond and get out knocking on doors. Do some beating. See a field getting hammered, Google who owns it, and ask to shoot it. 

Depending on where you live, which is relative to the distance you might have to travel, you could consider joining a coastal wildfowling club once you`ve got your shotgun certificate sorted out.

BASC provides a £10 million third party insurance and , once you`ve joined, could give you a lot of good advice on all you need to know.

There`s a film about starting wildfowling in the thread below this one.

Edited by mudpatten

Thanks a lot guys. All the information you gave me was really useful. I will be moving ans settling down in the West Midlands next month. So I will have to start doing my homework when there. Do you know of any clubs there? 

Thanks again