Farmer cutting grass.

Muddy Funker

Hi Guys. 

Bit of a random one. 

We're fortunate enough to have some land we can set aside for hay. 

Simple enough question I guess, farmer comes in and does everything, cut, rake and bale. 

What would be a fair deal for both of us with regards to us keeping a percentage? 

Thanks in advance 👍🏻

Yeah, I've heard half before. But it depends a bit how much ground you have to cut, as if its just a couple of acres and awkward shape you might struggle to find someone keen, especially this year as there are big crops of grass about.

Praying that they cur our 11 acres this evening. Father in law gets taken for a bit of a ride over it but we keep as much as we want and the farmer takes the rest. But hes supposed to do the hedges and field maintenance which he does I'm a fashion. If/when we inherit the ground there will be a renegotiation. If hell do it for you get him to make you big bale haylage. Not the massive stuff you cant push about unless you've got a tractor. It's easier to store, has better feed value and makes quicker although you need to leave it a few weeks to make in the bags.

hello, there is not much money in baled hay unless you need for your own use like winter sheep or cattle, on my friends farm they get another farmer and friend in to do around 500 to1000  small bales and take half free, they do this on quite a few farms to sell for winter feed and horse owners, they just like using their vintage machinery. oh and just sold a 30 acre field for housing,

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

1 hour ago, Benthejockey said:

Praying that they cur our 11 acres this evening. Father in law gets taken for a bit of a ride over it but we keep as much as we want and the farmer takes the rest. But hes supposed to do the hedges and field maintenance which he does I'm a fashion. If/when we inherit the ground there will be a renegotiation. If hell do it for you get him to make you big bale haylage. Not the massive stuff you cant push about unless you've got a tractor. It's easier to store, has better feed value and makes quicker although you need to leave it a few weeks to make in the bags.

A few years ago now I happened to be on a next door farm when a machinery company came to test run a small round bale baler. It was just like a small version of the big balers but turned out a small round bale which you could pick up and move about with ease, perfect for tthe pony owners.  I never did see this come into production but to me it semed a very good idea.as lasses looking after their horses could easily roll one to where they needed it if they couldn't carry it and there was not the problem as with many hay bales where the strings loosen up and the bale falls apart.

Edited by Walker570

Haylage prices here vary so hugely each year it’s hard to say what an entirely straight deal could be. Three years back £20 a big round, last summer it hit £125 a big round with a minimum order of an hgv  trailer full. What have prices been like historically where you are?

We are quite lucky that the livery place we use get more than enough off their own land to cover each years use. 

Anyone daft enough to pay £125 for a round bale needs to give there carer tri3 money to look after. I got some massive square bales at £40 a bale which was good but the following week somebody with a pony had told him he was too cheap so he upped it to £60 a bale which I declined. 

3 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

Anyone daft enough to pay £125 for a round bale needs to give there carer tri3 money to look after. I got some massive square bales at £40 a bale which was good but the following week somebody with a pony had told him he was too cheap so he upped it to £60 a bale which I declined. 

They were trucking the stuff in from Spain last year. We had a terrible harvest locally but I think things were much better in England. 

It is a bit of a tricky one, obviously it costs a fair amount to make but it's obviously worth his while. 

I'm not looking to make any huge sum just keep what is deemed fair. If 50/50 is snubbed I'll just top it, no drama to me. 

I think highest price for a large round bale last year was £40-50.

If you asked for £125 a round bale you'd be laughed out of the country, that's an insane price. 

£40/bale for 4 string hay was a fair price for hay last winter in the SW, some more some less. Works out about £140-150/t.

Hay is too cheap most years, but stock farmers can't pay higher prices and horses can't eat it all..