22lr Dustshot

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I killed a weasel with one shot from a 14 inch rifle barrel. They don’t shoot a hollow circular pattern through a rifled barrel, just a carp pattern like they shoot from a smooth bore. Very short range, maybe six feet. 9mm garden gun is much better, especially with rws #10 shot.  Comparing the two is like comparing a .410 and a 10 gauge. Not in the same league at all.

Idea for very short range rat killing along rafters in a shed where you don't want to damage the roof.  Knocked a few out over the years but if I had that situation today I would be loading some 410s with rice.  Have seen a lot of rats killed with rice running along beams in a cow shed from a 12 gauge and no damage to the tiles.  I think that is why I am almost deaf as this was back in the 50s :yes:

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Idea for very short range rat killing along rafters in a shed where you don't want to damage the roof.  Knocked a few out over the years but if I had that situation today I would be loading some 410s with rice.  Have seen a lot of rats killed with rice running along beams in a cow shed from a 12 gauge and no damage to the tiles.  I think that is why I am almost deaf as this was back in the 50s

Could you unpick the top of a RTO .410, load it with rice then close it back up with one of the hand tools? 

13 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Idea for very short range rat killing along rafters in a shed where you don't want to damage the roof.  Knocked a few out over the years but if I had that situation today I would be loading some 410s with rice.  Have seen a lot of rats killed with rice running along beams in a cow shed from a 12 gauge and no damage to the tiles.  I think that is why I am almost deaf as this was back in the 50s :yes:

the game keepers of old used to load up 12bore cartridges with rock salt....for poachers.........ouch...

5 minutes ago, Rimfireboy said:

They did indeed, as school kids, one of my pals was shot with salt for trespassing. Hit on the legs as he was running away.

ouuuuch...........do that now and he would get 15 years inside............

20 years ago the church was pro foxhunting and anti gay....now they are anti foxhunting and pro gay and LGBT

how times have changed........

just to end this divergence....the student riots in Paris in the 60's......the Le Flick (french police).....to disperse the rioters just got their guns out and shot them in their legs...:oops:

Edited by ditchman

21 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

My grandfather didn't have a roll turnover he just pushed it all back and poured some candlewax on it .... but the answer is , yes of course

Thanks, wasn't sure as I don't have any experience with loading 

I haven't got a tool either, I was thinking of maybe using just a dab of silicone to hold it all back in. 

I did have an immaculate webley and scott garden gun with a lovely bit of wood but I stupidly swapped it. 

13 hours ago, ditchman said:

the game keepers of old used to load up 12bore cartridges with rock salt....for poachers.........ouch...

Some old farmer in the local village used to load them and shoot at us with them. Only felt it once running away from his hay barn. Stung but couldn't see any holes just little red specks on skin.

I'd try rice, pearl barley all the pulses and see what they can do.

45 minutes ago, figgy said:

Some old farmer in the local village used to load them and shoot at us with them. Only felt it once running away from his hay barn. Stung but couldn't see any holes just little red specks on skin.

I'd try rice, pearl barley all the pulses and see what they can do.

do to what ...who ....:w00t:

If you load the right ingredients and pop pigeons off in barns. Drop me in water and soup 🤪 should kill rats and pigeonsat close range without damaging roof sheets.

Dried peas should be good too in 12 bore carts.

Edited by figgy