Eley Amber

Invited to a get together on the estate i beat and shoot on for a clay shoot which is set up as a proper shoot High pheasant  partridge  grouse  bolting rabbit  springing teal

Anyway thought i'd buy some clay cartridges for a change and my local stockists have these carts in stock Read all the read ups and thought it would be a laugh going with these pink cartridges Which it did .First drive was high pheasant and my friend the gamekeeper stood next to me A high clay came over and was like slow motion Fired then a while later the clay bust  He could'nt understand why it took so long for the clay to dust Then my shooting went all to cock as i could'nt read the speed or velocity of this new to me cartridge  Next was the grouse drive which is fast and performed better But not as good as i normally do  Thing is in discussion with other shooters One being a coach Eley came into this discussion and the Superfast was brought up which i used years ago and seemed good but punchy But everyone was in the same frame of mind that Eley have changed I mentioned that alot of Eley are made in Spain owned by IMI plc and i do'nt buy Eley now apart from these Amber 24gm no 8 and absolutely rubbish Yes designed for skeet disciples But i am totaly disgusted with them as of all Eley cartridges This is not just me with a gripe But people that shoot profesionaly Just would like to hear others opinions? But my own opinion on Eley i am not permiited to make public on here and will never waste my money on this  bull **** again

26 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

after all they are a cartridge developed for skeet 

Interesting that the first `high Pheasant` was killed using a ladies specially developed skeet load, his shooting then went to pot and poor old Eley get the blame. Sounds like a case of bad workmen and their tools !

Some years ago, I took a problem I had with their cartridges to Eley, they were less than helpful, in fact just dismissive!.......I haven't bought their cartridges since and maybe it's silly? But on principle won't again!

Their original Bi cartridges were carp.......you could hear the shot hitting the duck, and the ones that came down, were invariably wounded....it was like chucking a handful of gravel at em!

I should point out this was at approx 25 to 35yds range!

Edited by panoma1

They are designed for a discipline, skeet. There ok for average clays but being 8 shot not the best at distance.

You broke the high clay and your forward allowance was correct. Untill the keeper put doubt in your mind you were fine.

The cart will be as fast as superfast and most other carts.

Should use the same carts as you would for the game you would shoot. Good practice and you know the ground.

A friend of mine used a slab and shot very well with them. The rebel are the same cart in different case for boys. 

Edited by figgy

Whilst I agree to an extent with the above, the reasons i went off Eley were that (like ulimately all manufacturers) their product pricing was stifled by competition and to keep margins up (they are a privately owned business), component quality was going downhill in particular the lead shot was softer than expected and irregular both in size and shape leading to some very poor patterns in their less expensive ranges.

The son of a good friend of mine has just been sponsored by Eley, his dad is sponsored by Hull and I shoot Fiocchi.

When playing all 3 of us can swap cartridges and I can guarantee there is never any different allowance made for lead by any of us because of the cartridge velocity.  There is a marginal difference in how each cartridge might feel, but it is tiny marginal.  The biggest difference is in the smell of the burnt powder when ejecting the cartridges.

7 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

Whilst I agree to an extent with the above, the reasons i went off Eley were that (like ulimately all manufacturers) their product pricing was stifled by competition and to keep margins up (they are a privately owned business), component quality was going downhill in particular the lead shot was softer than expected and irregular both in size and shape leading to some very poor patterns in their less expensive ranges.

I agree, a couple of years ago I had a nostalgic moment and picked up a slab of Grand Prix, as that was what I started on many many years ago, they were a very poor shadow of those from the past or they seemed to be because other makes had moved with the times. 

for some reason...i have never been able to get on with eley cartridges..............but when using my 22lr.......i used nothing else......

i used to use a lot of eley impax on the partridges many years ago....and then my strike rate started to go down a lot...a lot of bang ...but nothing happened...then i changed my cartridge ...and i was back to normal again.........i have never touched an eley shotgun cartridge since then.........somebody must like them because they are still in buisness...

42 minutes ago, ditchman said:

for some reason...i have never been able to get on with eley cartridges..............but when using my 22lr.......i used nothing else......

i used to use a lot of eley impax on the partridges many years ago....and then my strike rate started to go down a lot...a lot of bang ...but nothing happened...then i changed my cartridge ...and i was back to normal again.........i have never touched an eley shotgun cartridge since then.........somebody must like them because they are still in buisness...

Eley 22lr is high but group very nice for me. 

3 hours ago, JJsDad said:

Interesting that the first `high Pheasant` was killed using a ladies specially developed skeet load, his shooting then went to pot and poor old Eley get the blame. Sounds like a case of bad workmen and their tools !

These are advertised as high antimony 5% magnun shot hard hitting  I shot this same stand last year using a 20g which i handled for the first time out 28g game cartridge and shot alot better These are not very high pheasant  Yes i did mention skeet in my thread but these should've coped with these clays I could've changed to Fiocchi as i had a slab in the vehicle But started as i mean to go on and test these out

As far as I am aware, Eley Hawk Limited who manufacture shot gun cartridges as wholly owned by Maxam Outdoors with all the directors now being Spanish (and serving in dual capacities between Eleyhawk and Maxam).

Eley Limited who manaufacture the 22 rifle bullets are still Uk owned (by mainly Loyllds Banking Group amongst others) and still managed from within the UK.

both are private companies (i.e. non-publically traded) and tehrefore do not have to disclose their income and profits.

41 minutes ago, sabel25 said:

These are advertised as high antimony 5% magnun shot hard hitting  I shot this same stand last year using a 20g which i handled for the first time out 28g game cartridge and shot alot better These are not very high pheasant  Yes i did mention skeet in my thread but these should've coped with these clays I could've changed to Fiocchi as i had a slab in the vehicle But started as i mean to go on and test these out

It sounds like the cartridges could and would have dealt with the clays but you have to put the shot in the right place....

I have bought loads of different brands over the years but keep going back to Eley Olympic Blues 28G 7.5s. Seem great in all my guns. My son has been shooting Eley Ambers in 20 bore 21gram no8s. He has no problem with them and happily breaks high tower birds that i often miss with them!

• 3 weeks later...

I use VIP and some of their Pigeon Select carts with no issues at all.  In my book Its a matter of getting used to a specific shell and sticking to it,  pigeons its the slower Select 6s,  game the faster VIP5s.       I have used VIP for about 10 years and switched from Hull High Pheasant only for price reasons.   Last batch I bought I did try some Express which many of my friends use but could not get on with them, suspect they were a bit faster than the VIP and I was missing in front.

A

On 01/07/2019 at 10:29, grrclark said:

The son of a good friend of mine has just been sponsored by Eley, his dad is sponsored by Hull and I shoot Fiocchi.

When playing all 3 of us can swap cartridges and I can guarantee there is never any different allowance made for lead by any of us because of the cartridge velocity.  There is a marginal difference in how each cartridge might feel, but it is tiny marginal.  The biggest difference is in the smell of the burnt powder when ejecting the cartridges.

I think the son of your friend does pretty well with them!!!!

For various reasons I stopped using Eley cartridges a while ago, (around 25 years) and I find their current range no better. Having said that, I have used several thousand 20 bore 'CT's' in 21 and 24 gram for Instruction and they have been very good, just a bit dirty though.

7 hours ago, Perazzishot said:

I think the son of your friend does pretty well with them!!!!

They both do pretty well, it’s the Fiocchi shooter that’s the duffer :P

I was the Helice (ZZ) champ for our sidebar challenge at the world’s though, take what little wins I can !!!

On 01/07/2019 at 11:26, London Best said:

Eley subsonic are the only .22 round that misfires constantly in my old BRNO Mod. 2  bolt action.

Recently swapped from Eley to RWS for this reason. Not had a misfire since. 

And I don't like Eley 12 bore carts either