Clumsy feet

dad

I had a family of four youngsters born on the pond where I shoot tree rats and they came out and helped themselves to the maize.  There are now three, now in their full plumage. The fourth got hit by the buzzard ....big pile of feathers.  I have seen them in some most unlikely places. Used to have some shooting in the hills above Builth Wells..semi grouse moor and regularly saw one walk across the open ground on top of Aberedw Hill.  Saw one walk without a care, down the main runway at Birmingham, eventually vanishing onto the A45.  I love to see the day olds skimming about like little balls of black fluff chasing midges.

Edited by Walker570

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

enlighten me.................

The opposite of a Moorhen is Moorcoxk  , or is that something the lovely Sarah never complained about :lol: , going slightly off thread , we had a Reed bed on the marsh that was full of Moorhens and the eggs were always sought after , the ones we couldn't reach we used our linen line prop with a spoon tied on the end , tell yer , when your hungry you have to take drastic measures .

In one of the local books I have got they recon the women used to take a basket on the marsh and fill it up with Plover ( Lapwing or Peewit ) eggs , I think at times I was born a few year to late .      

38 minutes ago, ditchman said:

we used to collect moorhen eggs...when the WI had a cake stall and compertion............moorhen eggs and turkey eggs are the best for cakes im told.....

Strangely enough , I have never eaten Coots eggs , no doubt they taste similar to Moorhens , before we had the bad 62 / 63 winter all the Coots were on the Broads then when we had that severe winter the Broads froze over and the Coots came down to open water and some of them stayed around our way , by then we could just about afford half a dozen eggs , or go to the old Acle sale and if you were lucky you found a fresh egg in the chicken cages that were being sold , they were selling the chicken and the egg wasn't included in the bidding  :lol:

3 hours ago, marsh man said:

The opposite of a Moorhen is Moorcoxk  , or is that something the lovely Sarah never complained about  , going slightly off thread , we had a Reed bed on the marsh that was full of Moorhens and the eggs were always sought after , the ones we couldn't reach we used our linen line prop with a spoon tied on the end , tell yer , when your hungry you have to take drastic measures .

In one of the local books I have got they recon the women used to take a basket on the marsh and fill it up with Plover ( Lapwing or Peewit ) eggs , I think at times I was born a few year to late .      

Moorhen is the name for a Grouse up here. how did a water bird get the name moor hen down south

12 hours ago, dad said:

frequent visitor

20190610_132718_compress98.jpg

20190610_132718_compress98.jpg

love it...... is it nuts or grain in the feeder

Edited by islandgun

3 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Moorhen is the name for a Grouse up here. how did a water bird get the name moor hen down south

It do get a bit confusing at times when they call a bird by it's sex and they both qualify as the same bird , Like a Peacock , Shelduck , Woodcock, Hen Harrier or from up your way , the Blackcock , I am sure there are other ones I have forgot but I know the P W massive will come to our aid , also why is just the Swan called a Pen and Cob and not other birds ?:hmm:

On 01/07/2019 at 21:42, islandgun said:

love it...... is it nuts or grain in the feeder

Peanuts but her favorite is sunflower i save some heads and put them on the wall she keeps coming back to pick them off