Investments

SpringDon

This is inspired by a post on the brexit epic about the potential Italian bot. How does the panel protect itself from the coming financial crisis (it you believe in its imminent).

Nearly all my investments (such as they are) are in cash and the rest in physical gold. Given the vulnerability of currency to devaluation and the possibility of pension fund raids. How does one spread the contents of ones basket? (Not crytpo!).

Fun story:  About 30 years ago,  people went door to door in the states selling pine tree saplings.  They had this spill how they would plant your field for x amount a acre. They would count you children and tell you how many acres of pine trees you needed to plant to put them through college.  Now there are pine forest everywhere around here planted in straight rows.  We call them Fool Forest.  They worthless.  In fact they are worth less then cleared land ready to build on.  Moral of the story is don’t fall for slick talking investors. 

I had some money put back,  I wipped out my savings and bought and old shack walking distance to the ocean.  I figure the beach land would only go up.  Look at investments that you can injoy while increasing in value.  My place has doubled in value.  I would have made the same money since the Trump market went ape **** in hind sight.  But I get to fish at the coast when ever I want for free.  Can you enjoy stock?  Can you enjoy a bar of gold? Buy something you can enjoy for 20 years and sell when you retire.  

4 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Crypto is smoke and mirrors, there is no pot of gold sitting somewhere in a bank vault propping it up. Saying that, neither has the Euro

Bricks and mortar may go up and down but you can still live in it 

What does is maths and cryptography. You are right you have to pick your investments though. 

42 minutes ago, zipdog said:

Why not Crypto? 

Crypto has even  less foundation than fiat currencies. At least I could foresee a scenario of currency reissue after a devaluation so there would be a percentage return. Can’t see that with crypto. That said, the Facebook one seems to be attracting some credibility from central banks.

invest in something enjoyable sounds interesting. I need to look at the price of Vincents again. But at least land or bricks and mortar has an intrinsic worth so maybe that. 

By the way, one can enjoy gold. All that’s required is to coat ones self in honey and roll across a bed on which sovereigns have been spread. Try it - it’s great.

15 minutes ago, SpringDon said:

Crypto has even  less foundation than fiat currencies. At least I could foresee a scenario of currency reissue after a devaluation so there would be a percentage return. Can’t see that with crypto. That said, the Facebook one seems to be attracting some credibility from central banks.

invest in something enjoyable sounds interesting. I need to look at the price of Vincents again. But at least land or bricks and mortar has an intrinsic worth so maybe that. 

By the way, one can enjoy gold. All that’s required is to coat ones self in honey and roll across a bed on which sovereigns have been spread. Try it - it’s great.

Central banks are scared by Libra (the Facebook one) as it is a direct challenge to the traditional columns of power. They are being forced and forced fast to move with the times. This will involve crypto of some sort, which crypto, stable backed coins or otherwise remains to be seen. Get it correct and the returns will be great for you, get it wrong and you will be left with little.

2 hours ago, vampire said:

Bricks and mortar out performs most infestments,values double every 25 years ish.

It has done traditionally but my instinct is its going to flatline for the foreseeable future, ie the next 25 years, and probably drop a bit, its already dropping in many parts of the country . Nothing to do with Brexit but everything to do with difficulty in borrowing money for mortgages. Banks and building societies are becoming much more cautious anticipating a crash if the Euro, (or even the dollar) takes a dive.

Spread is key, Crypto can work short term but long term is a challenge, I’d avoid any gems, art etc as you just get probed by sellers and buyers where spread is opaque.

Gold is a good safe haven, commodities still look like they have somewhere to go, property is a good long term play, especially if you can buy somewhere nice and holiday let rather than long term let due to tax advantage.

Decent wine if you are well advised too, and if crashes drink it!

Playing currencies I think USD looks versus ROW if the chickens come home to roost..

Surplus of cheap money, over geared stretched consumers, property prices high, banks taking risky positions .. what could possibly go wrong!

Watch out for the sharks, they are often disguised as Dolphins..

16 hours ago, PPP said:

Spread is key, Crypto can work short term but long term is a challenge

I would say the complete opposite. Short term Crypto is a nightmare but longer term, If you stick to established coins you will be fine. You wont go wrong buying Bitcoin now as long as you do not need to sell for a decade. Short term its incredibly volatile. 

19 hours ago, Vince Green said:

It has done traditionally but my instinct is its going to flatline for the foreseeable future, ie the next 25 years, and probably drop a bit, its already dropping in many parts of the country . Nothing to do with Brexit but everything to do with difficulty in borrowing money for mortgages. Banks and building societies are becoming much more cautious anticipating a crash if the Euro, (or even the dollar) takes a dive.

Bang on Vince, but also I think affordability will start to come into it more and more over the foreseeable future. 

Peoples wages have remained relatively stable over years, yet house prices continued to shoot up. People are getting less and less for their money these days. 

It gets to a point that two young professionals earning £60k between them, can’t afford to put down £30,000 in cash as a deposit and have a £300k mortgage. 

6 hours ago, zipdog said:

I would say the complete opposite. Short term Crypto is a nightmare but longer term, If you stick to established coins you will be fine. You wont go wrong buying Bitcoin now as long as you do not need to sell for a decade. Short term its incredibly volatile. 

But volatility is good for short term trading , on crypto I don’t run a position more than 10 days, too scary... Long term I fully expect them to be worth little too nothing.. too many horses in the race to pick the winner.

On 01/07/2019 at 22:38, Vince Green said:

Anything with finite supply is likely to be a good bet. There is no more land being made and we dont have inter generational mortgages yet so plenty of room for growth. 

I have bought a few fields as a investment. I have decided to plant one as a woodland. It's only about 2.5 acres but I am in the process of applying for a grant that will cover 60% of the sapling costs. I think with a small pond it will be a great legacy to leave behind and for my kids no inheritance tax on woodland.

My latest investment is holiday property in Perranporth. a lovely 2 bed flat right on the beach. So far about 20 weeks booked this year means all the bills including the small mortgage are covered. So even if we don't make a profit we get a flat for the deposit we put down, fingers crossed some profit will give some of that back. 

These are obviously long term investments.

Edited by rimfire4969

On 02/07/2019 at 16:25, Lloyd90 said:

It gets to a point that two young professionals earning £60k between them, can’t afford to put down £30,000 in cash as a deposit and have a £300k mortgage. 

Why should they be able too?

I am not yet an old ****, but in the days of proper finance your Bank, all of them, would give 2.5 x Joint salary (3.0 at a stretch on "affordability")so your couple, under "sensible" rules could get £150,000.  Now a days I see you can get 5.0 times multiples,  lunacy, sheer lunacy,

RS

Edited by RockySpears
spelling and clarity

3 minutes ago, RockySpears said:

Why should they be able too?

I am not yet an old ****, but in the days of proper finance your Bank, all of them, would give 2.5 x Joint salary (3.0 at a stretch on "affordability")so your couple, under "sensible" rules could get £150,000.  Now a days I see you can get 5.0 times multiples,  lunacy, sheer lunacy,

RS

1) because otherwise the entire market would crash, as they wouldn’t be able to afford to buy anything. 

2) they’re clearly making the repayments so why are you so upset about it? 

Just now, Lloyd90 said:

2) they’re clearly making the repayments so why are you so upset about it? 

I'm not upset, just saying that maybe the reason that prices are so high is the Banks givng out mortgages too easily.  What dramatic change has there been to peoples outgoings to justify the new multipliers?  Seems to me youngsters have even more bills (mobiles, Internet etc etc, new cars being de rigeur these days) than we did, so I might even venture that multiples should be lower, not higher.

6 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

1) because otherwise the entire market would crash, as they wouldn’t be able to afford to buy anything. 

Maybe not if the Banks had been as sensible as their previous incarnations.

RS