Aldi 29ltr electric cool box 12v/240v

Wooder

Went out to my local Aldi lunchtime to get lunch, noticed they had a 29ltr electric cool boxes for sale, I bought on the spur of the moment £39.00. looks good value as, I have seen them in smaller capacity for twice the price.

anyone else had one?

Our dog eats raw food and it comes in frozen packs, which need to be defrosted before he eats his meals. When we go away we need to take the frozen food with us. 

Recently we went to Slovenia where we stayed in a self catering apartment for a week. It was a 2.5 day drive there and the same back. 

We transported the frozen dog food packs in a 24 litre cooler box from Halfords along with several ice packs. 

Prior to setting off I turned on the cooler box overnight. I put a thermometer inside which read 21C the following morning the reading was 5C. We loaded the box up and set off with the box connected to a 12v socket in the car. On the two overnight stops we took the box into the hotel room and ran it from the main electricity supply. On arrival it Slovenia the food was still frozen and we bunged it in the freezer compartment in the fridge. 

It works well for us and I'd recommend one. 

A friend has a VW T5 conversion and after flattening his battery using his cooler box had a leisure battery installed. It's wired up to charge when the engine is running, same as a caravan, and runs his cooler box from that now. 

My Halfords 40 litre one takes about 4 Amps on 12 volts.  Would run for hours on a car battery without flattening it, but can also be plugged into the mains.  The socket in the boot of my car is only powered when the engine is running anyway.  Works very well, but you do get some condensation inside.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

My Halfords 40 litre one takes about 4 Amps on 12 volts.  Would run for hours on a car battery without flattening it, but can also be plugged into the mains.  The socket in the boot of my car is only powered when the engine is running anyway.  Works very well, but you do get some condensation inside.

My disco 4 12 v rear socket only runs when the engine is running so shouldn't have any issues with flat battery.

I've had an Electric coolbox for many years and it has served me well, commonly used on my boat, but car as well.

As mentioned, be careful of battery drain, but they can be useful.

No idea specifically about the Aldi box but I wouldn't expect it to be the highest quality!

15 hours ago, Dougy said:

Its a box with a fan in. Dont assume because it says its electric it will cool things. 

Not quite.….A Peltier cooler (or thermoelectric heat pump) is mounted in the lid of the coolbox, along with a fan system to disperse the heat to outside the box. The heatsink device transfers heat from the inside to the outside, with consumption of electrical energy. The one I've got says it can reduced temp by 20c. I have it between the back seats in the car and the cans of pop are really cold.

7 hours ago, daveboy said:

Not quite.….A Peltier cooler (or thermoelectric heat pump) is mounted in the lid of the coolbox, along with a fan system to disperse the heat to outside the box. The heatsink device transfers heat from the inside to the outside, with consumption of electrical energy. The one I've got says it can reduced temp by 20c. I have it between the back seats in the car and the cans of pop are really cold.

Sounds allot better than i assumed. 

I had seen some years ago that were advertised as " 12v Electric fridge" at around £100 compared to the insulated cool box's they were a gimmick. 

At the mo i sm just using a cool box and add a £1 bag of ice every couple of days.